Joe_S
Joe_S, Systems Specialist
Experience:  Systems Administrator at Fortune 50 Company
68269981

Using sql server express 2012, office 2013 home version. Until

using sql server express 2012, office 2013 home version. Until 2 weeks ago I was able to export tables from database to excel. Today returning from holiday trying to export db tables I find Microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0 is not registered to local machine. When I do execute master.dbo.xp_enum_oledb_providers I find Microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0 is present. It's also in the registry. So what has happened?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Joe_S replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judy, my name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help you today..As far as what happened? It's really hard to say. It sounds to me like the providers became corrupt. I'd use other non-technical terms but basically something stepped on it. .Rather than trying to reverse engineer what really happened, it's probably best to simply repair the SQL Express installation. We can do a couple of things:Option 1: Simply perform a System Restore back to a time when you know it was working (I can provide instructions if needed)Option 2: Repair the SQL Express installation from the add/remove programs section of control panelOption 3: Download and install SQL Express 2014 (newer version): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299If you need detailed instructions on performing any of these steps, then please reply back. If you are comfortable performing these steps on your own, and it resolves your issue, then we're done and you can rate my assistance accordingly. If you have any other questions on this mater, I'm here to help so please don't hesitate to reply back..--Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is odd is that I have a pc of my own which has behaved as described but also the machine in my user's office has behaved exactly the same. Both machines were fine before about 15th December. Both are behaving normally other than in this respect. I don't want to lose the databases on either machine. Although I have been backing up the databases I haven't been backing up the systems.
Expert:  Joe_S replied 1 year ago.
It's very possible that a system update caused the problem. You can look at your update history (within Windows Update) to see what may have taken place.You should not lose any of your databases with the steps I mentioned. But yes, taking precautions is always recommended. Making a recent backup is a good idea.