Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

MY COMPUTER IS A SONY DESKTOP VPCJ21L8EB: I RECENTLY UPGRADED

Customer Question

MY COMPUTER IS A SONY DESKTOP VPCJ21L8EB: I RECENTLY UPGRADED FROM WINDOWS 7 AND INSTALLED WINDOWS 10 HOWEVER MY DVD/CD ROM DRIVE DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY, WHEN A CD IS INSERTED IT PLAYS AND WILL BURN AS NORMAL, WHEN A DVD DISC IS INSERTED IT DOES NOTHING, I HAVE CHECKED THE SYSTEM UPDATES AND ALL IS REPORTED AS FINE, THE UPGRADE HAS REMOVED VAIO CARE\UPDATE AND THE ASSIST BUTTON DOES NOT RESPOND. NOW APART FROM REINSTALLING WINDOWS 7 I AM UNABLE TO PLAY ANY MOVIES FROM THE SELECTION THAT I OWN, THE DVD DRIVE IS A MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8AOAS.
MANY THANKS,
DAVE
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. When you insert a DVD disk, does it detect the DVD disk (even if it does not work probably)?Is it a particular DVD disk, such as movie / video dvd disk, software dvd, data / files dvd, etc.?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
It looks like you are not there. When you are available, please try a possible fix below:- Download and install the VLC Player program at the website below:http://www.videolan.org/; keep all default options during installation, then right-click on the Start button (which is the Windows logo icon located at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Control Panel.; (you can also press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window will open.), (then open Programs), then open Default Programs, then click on Set your default programs, then click on option VLC media player on the left, then click on Set this program as default, then click OK, then still in Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs, click on Change AutoPlay settings, then at the top, make sure the box is checked for option Use AutoPlay for all media and devices., then for the options DVD movie and Enhanced DVD movie, select option Play DVD movie using VideoLAN VLC media player; also, there, set the following items to Play using VideoLAN VLC media player: Video files, DVD-Audio, Video Cd, Super Video CD., then click Save at the bottom., then insert a DVD disk and check.That should work, but if there is still any issue, please let me know, so I can help further.- Also, if you've been trying out Windows 10 and you do not like it, or if it does not work well for you, then you can go back to your Windows 7 within 30 days of installing Windows 10 by doing the following steps: Click on Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery, then there, select the option to go back to your previous Windows version there.When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.