Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I suspect that I have been Scammed. And have paid £199.99 to

I suspect that I have been Scammed. And have paid £199.99 to get my computer back and running again. These people appear to be acting under the auspices of Microsoft but I now have serious doubts about this. They are WEB CAFE***@******.***
Please advise if they are acting with the authority of Microsoft or not
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Scammers are really plenty these days. Can you please tell me how you en up having them service your computer? Did they call you, telling you that they are from Microsoft, and informing you that your computer is sending out errors to their servers or something to that similar effect, and they offer to fix it by remotely accessing your computer?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just playing on the Internet and a Pop Up appeared,stating that I had a virus- This could be sorted by phoning 0800(###) ###-####- this I did. Only to be told they were Microsoft and would sort it out, but it would cost me £199.99 I thought there was no alternative so agreed
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. But were you having problems besides the annoying pop up? Or was the computer no longer operational due to that pop up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They remotely accessed my computer and took about two hours sorting it out. Will have to rely on using PC as I am hard of hearing i.e. nearly deaf??????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No longer operational - but was told not to turn off computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.Unfortunately, based on your description of your scenario, my professional assessment is that they are scammers and you have been scammed.Please allow me to explain.The pop up that you received or experienced is a kind of "scareware". That is, it could be a simply tricky program that was downloaded or transferred to your computer that "scares" you about being infected with a virus EVEN THOUGH your system could be virus free. Their goal is to scare you and force you to pay for their service.This is a scam since they have created that scareware to threaten people about being infected with a virus, which in reality could be NOT TRUE (means your computer could actually be virus free), so that they can force the victims to pay for their service.If you paid them through your bank, I suggest calling your bank and report this incident and see if they can reverse the charges for you.The reason for reversing the charges is because, these people, who appeared to have worked for 2 hours to fix the problem, is actually NOT fixing anything since there is nothing that needs fixing. They might have just been doing some basic diagnostics that does not deserved for a £199.99 fee. I hope that helped. Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years