Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.
30759776

I installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago. It worked fine for

Customer Question

I installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago. It worked fine for a while then the start button and other functions failed to work.
My wife's account on the laptop still works fine.
I did a system restore to a time shortly after installation and everything worked fine again.
Then yesterday the system again lost the start button and also failed to load jpeg files giving the error message 'class not registered'. The restore point I used earlier is no longer available.
I need help to get the system running properly again.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
I will be the person helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes go ahead
After you click the "Accept this offer" button for the remote service, the remote link will be posted here. That will be the last charge for today.
Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.comAfter clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 03 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
I look forward to your rating of my help on the top of this page. If you have any questions about rating me, please let me know.Thank you for your time and please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem has not been resolved to my satisfaction. My wife's account no longer had the windows 10 start screen. My start screen is the classic screen and lacks some apps such as Xbox. Either solve the problem or issue a refund.
I see that you have come back 12 hours later and are having problems. Your wife's account was working, but now you say that it is not? I can most definitely remote back in and continue helping. Please, let me know when you are ready to continue.
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I asked for help my wife's account had the windows 10 tile start menu which included the xbox app and windows solitaire games. My start button did not work. Your intervention restored the start button to my account in classic form and the same style to my wife's account. So neither of us can now accept the apps on the tile start menu.
In addition since your intervention the apps on the task bar do not respond to a right click. I feel that I am getting nowhere.
I am sorry for the confusion. I disconnected from the remote session after asking you to verify and make sure it's working would suffice for you. You stated that it was, but I understand that some of the issues may not have been evident at that time. May I remote back in and continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.
Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com
After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 72 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
All is working now. Thank you for bringing those issues to my attention.
Thank you for your time, the chance to work with you, and for the update.
I am a member of all computer, networking, and cell phone categories. If you ever need anything else, please let me know.
I'm online most hours of the day and only a brief time away.
-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem I raised originally has been only partly solved and what little progress that was made has been lost on a reboot. I have the start menu but only a quarter of the tiles work in my account, whereas they all work in my wife's account.
In that case, your account may be corrupt. This means that a new account can be created and all of your personal files can be copied to the new account. Please, post a message here when you are ready to continue.
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was aware that this may be the case and created a new account before I asked you for help. The files are transferred, what I am uncertain about is how to transfer my Office 365 account, and similar needs.