Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

We run a very small home business with our database on MS Access.

Customer Question

We run a very small home business with our database on MS Access. It all worked perfectly until my mother upgraded the laptop to Windows 10
We have reverted back to Windows 7 but it still won't work
The database won't run and we get "the record source specified on this form or report does not exist"
She forgot to do a back up before the upgrade so we have nothing to revert to. Can you help, I'm sure it's something simple but we did not create the database and are not able to contact the person who created it for us (15yrs ago)
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you provide me the database please and I can check it for you.
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
And tell me how to replicate the error
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
I have tried 3 times to upload the file but each time I get this message
We are sorry, but the requested page has been removed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, may be an issue with the site, go to
http://ge.tt
And upload it there and give me the download link which is at the top please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It's http://ge.tt/84WoUOV2/v/0
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you did not let it upload yet.
Upload it again and wait for it to finish and complete, then get the download link please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it should be uploaded under same link. I never used ge.tt before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the file ok?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was not online when you replied
I have the file and see it is made up of two databases, the one you gave me and another with tables in it (linked)
Its likely this is your issue, that this is missing.
Do you have this other database?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sorry I was not aware it worked on 2 databases
I have uploaded another to http://ge.tt/7FKOYQV2/v/0
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its still not uploaded yet, let me know when it is please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please try http://ge.tt/5ftFbQV2/v/0 It has uploaded
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its now all working fine for me so suspecting this is your problem (its not linked)
What do you do exactly to get the error?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com on the computer with the problem
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ID: 837 888 551
Password: 968dhp
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard
Thanks for your help the other day, however we still have a problem. Looking this evening at the database we notice the content only goes up to 2011 and everything since then is missing. I know when you were looking remotely you mentioned something about an old database - I guess that must be an old back up. In fact it may be when we changed from Vista to Windows 7 - I remember there was an issue then. Could you get back to me tomorrow please ? Thanks Tracey
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracey
you have a computer where the database is correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday it was such a busy day. No we do not have this database on any other computer. I have tried looking for the extra data file but haven't found it yet.
It must be there somewhere because it was working fine until the update. I will look again today when I get a chance.
Do you have any suggestions on how to find it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Check on the computer c:\Timeforyou
I saw in the code it uses that directly so you might have a copy there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a possible file but I cannot open it as I get the error record source query
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
hold SHIFT and then open the file please.
Then check for your data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry there's no data, it just opened up and said it couldn't find the tables. So I now realise all the files showing are around 1460kb and are the actual database design except 1 file (that is 13124kb) which is the actual data - but it only goes up to 2011. How can we have lost a file containing the last 4 years data?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
someone deleted it. First thing that comes to mind
Did you do a search on the computer for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how it could be deleted. I've looked in the recycle bin but don't see an Access file there
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
okk. well unless you have a backup, one way or another it was removed from the computer, and the only way that can occurring is being deleted, or an older copy overwritten.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was deleted wouldn't it get moved to the recycle bin?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Not if you held shift when deleting
But I am not sure what more to say sorry, the files not on the computer anymore, how this exactly happened I cannot say, only that it was deleted if you searched the computer and cannot find it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I don't believe it could have been deleted as I did not know about the SHIFT key thing
There are a load of files on the pc named some version of 'time for you' that I cannot open as they say the table is missing or something along those lines.
How do I open these?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
These are not the files you want, you want the file that opens as this is the one that stores the data.
Once stores the data, which you need to find and one links to the data which is the one that gives this error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard we have found a back up from 2013 on a memory stick, can you tell me how I make this open as the working database as it opens as the data tables only thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, best if I can connect to your computer and do this for you.
Make sure the memory stick is in the computer and then run teamviewer again and give me the ID and Password ***** connect please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already copied the file to the TimeForYou folder on the laptop. I will run team viewer now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ID 837 888 551 password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connecting now