Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I am a subscriber to Office 365. I use an Acer laptop. I closed

I am a subscriber to Office 365. I use an Acer laptop.
I closed the laptop down and when I restarted and attempted to open Outlook I got the message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. The file Users\rob\AppData\Microsoft\Outlook\*****@******.*** cannot be opened". My email address is***@******.***
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which version of windows you are using?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did you do a proper restart in windows so it can properly close the file down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked "update and restart" -- I think outlook may have been open when I did ie I don't think I shut down outlook first.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you now do a proper restart and tell me if it now functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
presumably that will disconnect us, so how do I get back to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you return to this webpage. You can press CTRL + D to bookmark this page, or check your emails for a link back here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard.
I restarted and it took some time, as it performed updates. I then opened Outlook which opened ok but I had to enter my password. to make sure, I then shutdown Outlook and shut down the laptop and restarted again and Outlook opened ok -- so, seems like the probs over! Any idea why Outlook suddenly didn't open; because I didn't shut it down properly?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, not shutting it down properly was the issue as an update could not apply and this corrupted it.
Once we shut it down correctly. it was able to apply the update and why it now works.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.