Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Windows 10 start menu isn't working - recurring "Critical Er

Customer Question

Windows 10 start menu isn't working - recurring "Critical Error" message - how do I repair this please?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your Windows 10 issues. Did you upgrade to Windows 10 recently? If yes, were you still able to use Windows 10 lately with no issues and then this problem suddenly occurred? Or you were no longer able to use the PC after the upgrade because of the critical error?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10 was preloaded on my HP360 Laptop when I bought it on 11/11/15 Start up has worked perfectly until two days ago
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. Now, you are still able to boot and use the computer except that using the start menu gives you the critical error? Does the system restarts automatically after the error? Or you can close it and continue using the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need a fairly prompt answer as I need to leave the house shortly - is there any way I can put this question on hold for an hour or so
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can simply bookmark this page or add to your favorites so that you can get back to me here when you are back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jess I will come back to you later
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Please take your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess - I'm back, can we continue please
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you. I am still here. Please let me know the following:Are still able to boot and use the computer except that using the start menu gives you the critical error?Does the system restart automatically after the error? Or you can close it (the error) and continue using the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can still boot and use the computer but the message tells me always to sign out which implies that I should not continue. I can then sign in again but when I try to use the start menu I get the same critical message each time. My previous internet research suggests that this is a very common problem with Windows 10
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me the exact error message and code that you are getting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Critical Error - Your Start menu isn't working - we'll try to fix it next time you sign in.. Sign out now
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.Can I remotely access the problem computer so that I can directly check and fix the problem while you watch?Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not too keen on remote for another $15 for remote access - mainly for security reasons but especially when I have already paid £28 for what should be a free service from Microsoft - Is the problem likely to be difficult to cure?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,I understand your security concerns with remote access. But we are using a legitimate and clean tool for the remote session and we guarantee our service. Anyhow, I respect your decision if you do not want the remote option.Yes, this error is attributed to a lot of factors that can take several hours to troubleshoot and fix. Most of the procedures are critical and when done incorrectly, can cause another problem.But if you want to proceed with this chat mode and you just want to follow the procedures that I will be sending you, yes we can. Do you want to proceed in this chat mode instead of the remote desktop option?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am amazed that it could take several hours to cure - is the $15 a fixed price or can you be flexible and include the remote access within the £28 -?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this can take several hours to fix since there are several factors that could have caused this problem. So when I am connected remotely to your PC, I will try fixing the problem one factor at a time.Unfortunately, remote access is an optional service with requires an extra fee. The minimum is 5. I am considering the possible length of the remote session thus the 15. But if you want, we can do it for 5 so we can start the remote session.Thank you.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy with $5 and previous research suggests that there is any easy answer which should only take 5 minutes!!! Go ahead with remote access
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session. 1. Please click on this link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=eb1cb8a1-548e-471e-99b4-547b0932eacd2. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess - I am available please re-establish remote access.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure whether I need to post the request again - I need to sort out this problem asap please - please re-establish rempte access and let me have an update
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you on line Jess - when will you be able to reconnect with me? this is now very urgent
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Thank you for writing back and I am sorry for the late reply. If you are available now, please let me know so that I can send you the new link,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a relief - I thought I had lost you - hope you have an idea of how we need now to sort this problem - Currently I do not seem to have any files for Start Menu or Cortana!! Have spoken with HP Help today - this is a common problem with Windows 10 and Microsoft usually seem to sort things out fairly quickly. If you haven't yet spoken with them then I suggest you do so before we go much further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Working on the issue now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess I am back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Download complete but it took 14 hours and installation is now very slow - 63/64% after neary an hour
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Thank you for writing back. Please allow the installation to finish first and then restart the computer when prompted. After that, test if the problem is gone. If not, please let me know so that I can help you further remotely.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Download finished 45 minutes ago and "preparing to install 64%" has been the message now for at least the last 10 minutes - how long should installation take Jess?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to have breakfast - will re-establish contact in about 30 minutes or when installation completed
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how long the installation can take. Please take your time.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we talk please Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to phone call? Unfortunately, I do not provide phone support. We can chat in your computer when we are in the remote session though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure whether Windows10 has successfully been installed - hold on I may need your help on remote access I will check for available updates which should show whether the new version of 10 has been loaded
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess bad news the windows 10 update installation has failed after 16 hours of downloading etc. Need to know what we do next. have restarted but start menu is no different. Can you please re-establish remote access
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there Jess - or working on another case?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Here is the link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=7e81ac82-7d45-41a8-a378-efea5eaa9988
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
How is it going? I closed the remote session since the standby time was quite long. If your Windows 10 PC is up and running again, please reply to me here so that we can resume with the remote session.
Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Jess I had to go out - your decision to close down Norton was obviously very wise for the installation was completed successfully. Looks as if we are now in a good position to get the start menu working but I need your help for the blocks are still missing. Have tried to change the settings but nothing has happened yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess I am back - please see my previous message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hold on - I will try restarting again to see if it works properly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go out again - I will open up the website tomorrow at about 0830 so that we can decide whether I need one final bit if help before we close down the case - many thanks for your help so far! It is now looking promising!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I am here but it is 11:18PM here and only few minutes and I will be signing off (12 midnight). I suggest then that we resume the remote session tomorrow 8:30 your time.Thank you.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess I'm here - hopefully you will be able to sort things out pronto now - I have a feeling we are nearly there!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if I need to contact through this section - please see previous message at 0837
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess could you please respond if you are there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No response yet so have signed in to my account again - where are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Come on Jess - I have been waiting nearly an hour now
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,I just got back online. What is the remaining problem now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess - Downloaded completed successfully but tiles still not working - layout now looks different - have tried through settings to set up my requirements but these have been ignored. Also microphone still missing from search area
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Her e is the link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=5091fd1b-d716-4ed1-90a1-5226ea2e7831
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Working on the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm here Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's time to close down I fear
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Are the tiles still not showing there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing has changed - will you be paid by Just answer or do I owe you before we go - mind you I might be back to haunt you in about four weeks time
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please take your time and enjoy your trip or stay in another country. And yes, you can surely get back to me here when you are back to resume with this session.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all of your efforts - pity it did not achieve what we were looking for. Maybe if I come back and ask for you, you will have the answer then at your fingertips - goodbye and thank you
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Eric for your patience as well. Till then