jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

Windows 10 won't start, critical error reported

Customer Question

windows 10 won't start, critical error reported
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your computer. Let me know did you backup your data before upgrading to windows 10?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
what is the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a Lenovo Idea Centre K410 Desktop PC, Intel i5 3.3GHz with Microsoft Office 10
I recentley updated Windows 10 from Windows 7
shut down the pc and remove the power cable from the back.
Only keyboard and mouse should be attached to the pc remove any external usb device attached the pc. Connect the power cable and power it back on and let me know if it loads windows fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same the start menu will not work
Start menu and Cortana not working correct?
Press the windows key and the R key together and let me know if you get a command box popup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes a Run box
Type in CMD and hit enter
now as you see a command prompt screen type in sfc /scannow hit enter and let it run and complete. Reboot after it completes and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that it comes up with WINDOWS\system\32\cmd.exe
on the command prompt did the type the command sfc /scannow and hit enter?There is a space between the sfc and the /forward slash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says you must be an administater running a console session in order to use sfc utility
open control panel using this methodpress Ctrl Shift and Esc keys together it will launch task manager click on file and select run new task now type in control.exe and hit enter.Control panel will be launched now on the control panel windows click on the search box and type in recovery and hit search you will see the first icon as recovery click on it, after that you click on the link below on the same window “If you are having problem with your PC, go to settings and try resetting it”.Now you will see 3 options Reset this PC should be selected by clicking on the Get started button under it.This will fix your Cortana and windows start menu launch button functions.Hope this helps leave a comment i will reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle, I reset the PCs as you said and the start menu is now working. However I seem to have lost my e mail which was windows live mail 2010.
Cortana started working however i have no idea why you lost your email as windows live email is web based and you should not not have lost your emails. Let me know if you are able to login to your email fine, i will look into this matter as well.