Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Can I choose 64 bit instead of 32 bit. My 64 bit installation

can I choose 64 bit instead of 32 bit. My 64 bit installation has become corrupt and will no longer read
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome
To check, you are referring to windows correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes windows 10 download
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The only way to do this will be to do a full install of 64Bit windows first eg: Windows 7 64bit, then the windows 10 download will be 64Bit, you cannot choose this as its not architecturally possible to install a 64BIT OS upgrade to a 32 bit installation. Its not a software limitation but a hardware, and needs to upgrade the same bit as what is already installed.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I install 64 bit if my installation disc is corrupt is it possible to request a replacement from Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the only way it would become corrupt is via scratching on the disk or it was not stored at room temperature.
But you can check with Microsoft if they will replace it for you by calling
(0)344(###) ###-####
But in order to get windows 10 64Bit you will need to install a previous 64 bit operating system (7, 8 or 8.1)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have purchased a OEM copy of windows10 64bit for a new system could I take out a additional licence and use that
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You would need to check on the number I gave sorry, I am an engineer here, and I cannot answer on any financial or licencing questions (there is a department for that). With Windows 10 its tricky as it is free AS AN UPGRADE, so its not clear on a new install
I can only inform on the technical aspects, but call the number I gave, and they can answer all licencing questions there.
But Technically, yes, a clean installation of windows 10 64bit will achieve your goal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I need the two machines to be combatable I will try your suggestion I am puzzald as no marks are on the 64 bit disk
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It can be heat damage, or scratches that are hard to see.
But I would "test" the windows 10 install, as that would be the best way forward.