Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

When I try to update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 it fails

Customer Question

When I try to update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 it fails on error code 80246008. I have tried 2 windows repair tools but neither work. Tech Utilities and Total Systems Care.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you do the following please
Hold the windows key and press R
Type services.msc and Click OK
Locate COM+ Event System -> Right Click on it Select Properties -> Make sure “Start up Type” is set to Automatic start-up-type
If the service is not started, start it by pressing start and then apply these settings.
Next locate the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and make sure that it is set as Startup type: Automatic (Delayed Start).
Now restart your computer; and then test if Windows 10 update works, if not then
Click here to download Windows Update Resetter Save the .bat file, right click on it and select Run As Administrator
Hold windows key and press R again, type the following path in the run dialog, then click OK
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader
Delete the contents of this folder.
Then download and run this file
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683
After it has been downloaded, open it and run it in the Aggressive Mode
restart the computer and then check if windows 10 not installs.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry for the delay in replying. I never received your response perhaps because I was continually being asked for a valid email address even though I continually supplied one.. Eventually I have been able to track your response down with the help of your customer care people.
I have read your response now. The first suggestion of setting the BITS start up to Automatic (Delayed Start) I have tried before but it didnt work. I am trying to follow your second suggestion but am getting no response from the click on. Could you supply the path so I can enter it please and I will proceed further.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Can you tell me please exactly which step you have the issue on?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am trying to follow "Click here to download Windows Update Resetter. " There is no response to the click on.Can you give me the address line so I can enter it.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
yes, this is it
DANGEROUS URL REMOVED
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I input that which switched me to someone else wanting more money. I have already paid £13 and got nothing back which works.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
No, the website removed the URL, if you read carefully it says it was invalid as it was not even an internet address.
Look carefully here also and you see DANGEROUS URL REMOVED
Use this one instead
http://tinyurl.com/jsqkp4r
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have input Http://tinyurtl.com/jsqtp.4r, saved it but cannot get it to run. I am going to leave this as I must have spent 50 hours and quite a bit of money in the last month trying to update from 8.1 to 10. It just seems too difficult. I like Windows 8.1 and will live without Windows 10. It is too much trouble.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Whats the issue you have getting it to run?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Even though I have saved it. It says it cannot find the file.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
You have to RIGHT Click the file, if you cannot find the file then you cannot right click it..... so I am not sure how your doing that.
Download it again to your desktop then right click it and run it as per the instructions I gave.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Right clicking does not give me the option to run
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
It will else your not clicking the right file...
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I understand what you are saying but I am not prepared to pay any more so thank you for your time. i will stick with Windows 8.1.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have decided to proceed with remote tech support.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Teamviewer downloaded. ID###-##-####PW 5384
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
connecting
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Have tried Windows 10 download again. Got as far as Upgrade to Windows 10 Start installing the latest version. Get Started. Then nothing.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Do you get an error message? Is it now different?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No nothing. The screen seems frozen.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
it can still be installing, how long has it been?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
About 20 mins. It has not started installing. In the past it has said installing and then takes about an hour. The furthest I have ever got was 85%. This time nothing at all. It has now started getting setup files again. I will see if installing starts an d let you know.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No it has stopped. Message Windows 10 could not be installed. Error code 80246008. Same as before.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Can you run Teamviewer and give me the ID so I can connect again please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Teamviewer up. Id###-##-#### ***** 2178
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
You started a systems scan which ran, then I did a restart followed by a scan & repair which ran for 4 hours. Then did another download of Windows 10. The download completed. I have not got as far as this before.This was followed by"Preparing for installation" which ran for 50 minutes then stopped quoting Update Failed but with no error code or explanation. So no nearer.
Went to bed.Been with it for 11 hours today but no luck.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
Are you connecting via wireless or cable?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
By wireless
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, can you connect via a network cable then try to do the update please
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I dont have a cable. Have been connected by wireless router for a long time.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
understand, but as its such a large download this can be the issue.
It only costs a few pounds for a cable, though you got one with the router, but if your adamant not to, we can move on, by telling me the make and model of the computer
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I can get a cable tomorrow. The computer is an Acer Aspire E1-571 Notebook PC bought new 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I had another try and successfully achieved an upgrade and started using Windows 10 at 01.44.
It seems that the problem is Broadband and if you wait until late at night the download works well.
Many thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.
ok, I more suspect its wireless and that your neighbors were not using it as much resulting i less interference.
Great we got it upgraded!