Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I am having trouble opening my files in my Office. Every time

I am having trouble opening my files in my Office. Every time I try to open an excel or word file it say "something went wrong. We couldn't start your program" please help
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which version of office your using and which version of windows?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
office 2013. Windows 8
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you press the windows key + X and click on control panel.
Then click on uninstall a program
Click on Office, then change, repair.
Choose online repair, let this complete and when it has, restart the computer and tell me please if it is now functioning correctly.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
else Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried what you said. but when i pressed online repair. it came up Something went wrong. we' re are sorry but we are unable to start your program. please ensure it is not disabled by the system. Error code 1058-4
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then try to repair office again
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now restarted the computer and iit scanning and repairing drive C. Stuck at 10% for about an.hour now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, means there is a lot for it to repair, as I warned, it can take some time, let it complete though as it will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has now finished scanning and repairing and I have carried out the online repair but same thing happened again. It says it is unable to start the program
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you follow the instructions here please to create a new account in windows 8
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8
Then restart the computer, sign in with this new account and tell me if in this new account you can use office please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that. Same
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you download and run this tool please in your normal accounthttp://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9815935When you run it, it will do a full uninstall of Office, different to in control panel.then restart, install Office and tell me if it then runs please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to uninstall it, it says troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you restart and try again please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have and it is the same. It offers explore additional options or close troubleshooter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you ask me to download and run the tool, do you mean I have to save it then run it ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please, saving it is downloading it, then run it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, how doi install office now that it is uninstalled and compurt restarted
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The same way you initially did, unless you deleted it, go to the downloads folder and the installation file should still be there and you can run it from there to perform the installation.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked . Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!
It was very corrupted and needed a clean uninstall which we did, it will now be ok
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question. I had from time to time had problems opening the file manager as though it is verifying something. So I had to find files the long way round. It corrects itself after a few weeks but it happens a few times now. Any idea why?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
the path names may be too long.
Have you tried it after the repairs we have done?