Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

The unavoidable upgrade from Windows 10 to 10.1 continues to

Customer Question

the unavoidable upgrade from Windows 10 to 10.1 continues to be a complete nightmare. I've lost my desktop, Explorer does not work efficiently! What can I do? This is nothing short of terrorism by microsoft.
Lawrence Toohey
postgraduate studet with knackered PC
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Hi there and welcome
When you say you lost your desktop, you mean your icons have dissapeared from it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes, no tiles as per usual. I used to right click on Windows icon bottom left and get the olddesktop, but can't even get that now! File explorer is a problem as well. My task bar at the bottom is useless.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My access to programmes is almost non-existent.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, you answered yes, no tiles as per usual
Sorry it was not clear, Are your programs there under All Apps?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can get to Explorer using file Explorer, but could not get Word using that route yesterday.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, I am not exactly following as I need to know for now please, if you click All Apps, you do or don't see your apps still?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. Presumably you charge for remote support?
2. A couple of weeks back i got a very worrying error message to phone a microsoft freephone number which I was not able to do as going to a lecture.
3. if you mean if I right click on windows icon do I get anything, answer is No.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
1) Yes
2) That was a scam, so best to avoid
3) No, I am still asking my initial question, which I will again repeat
Click on the Start button, bottom left, then All Apps, and tell me if your Apps are there, LEFT click, no right clicking.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just get a standard screensaver when I left click.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have just got an error message "Internet Explorer has stopped working". This happens a lot.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
You get a screensaver when you click the windows start button in the bottom left?
This is the button you click to Access your programs,
In the Bottom Left.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hat is correct.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, I do not think your understanding the instructions as its not going to open a screensaver.
Please watch this instructions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-find-all-your-apps-and-programs
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is what I am doing. There is nothing there
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
So you click that button, all apps, and the screen saver comes up and you have to close it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just done it again.Screensaver appears for a second then i come back to the screen with conversation with you.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, press the windows key (to the left of Alt) and X, do you see a menu open? Can you click on it command prompt (admin)
?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes, did it, nothing has happened.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Check for a black window please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes, have got that now.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me how the computer functions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its doing the verification stage of a system scan. You appreciate that I have to keep changing screens? This is only possible using small up and down arrors at bottom of screen
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Scan complete
" resource protection did not find any integrity violations"
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, continue on with the rest of the instructions I gave please.