Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have a website hosted by Yahoo and the emails currently go

Customer Question

I have a website hosted by Yahoo and the emails currently go to Microsoft Outlook 2007 on my laptop. I need a safer more robust system and think I used an exchange server when I worked for a large company. BUT I can't get my head around how it works mainly because of the technology! I can see there are hosted solutions where presumably my emails are diverted to; then I think (?) I'll have a version of Outlook (which one?) on my laptop and my phone so all 3 can synchronise between each other. What happens to all the emails currently sitting inOutlook on my laptop? So many questions! The hosting company provide instructions for migrating my mail and setting up but it's all gobbledegook!
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Bascially the hosting company has an email server, usually this is exchange, and you connect to it and can access your emails either via an email program such as outlook (any version is ok), or directly via a web mail interface.
You also do the same on the phones.
Now, depending on if you have exchange, imap or pop it depends on if you can copy your older emails to it.
So first, where are you stuck? Connecting outlook to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - I think so!
How do I get from having outlook2007 on my laptop with all the emails on it; to having everythign synced and if I can migrate the old mails, where would hey be? on the server?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
who is the email provider your wanting to connect to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fasthosts
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Can you follow the instructions here to add the email account within outlook 2007, it will show you exactly how to do this
https://help.fasthosts.co.uk/euf/assets/pdf-guides/Advanced-Mailbox-Setup-Guide.pdf
As your adding it within your profile that also has the yahoo emails in it, the yahoo emails will remain, just make sure to not remove it
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
else Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm just having a quick look - thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcome
Let me know how you go please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No surprise that I'd prefer you to do it! Another couple of things to consider though:
- I had a huge problem with Outlook last year, fixed by a Just Answer engineer who said my old emails could easily fall over and never be recovered again if I tried to do too much with them. She spent a long time fixing them so I'm sure she's right
- Also I'm setting up a new laptop which already has Outlook etc on it - so would it make life easier if we set up this new fasthosts account using the new laptop? In which case you'd need to sign on to that laptop not this one. What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
- Also I'll need to tell yahoo to divert my emails to fasthosts - so presumably my emails will continue to come to the old laptop for a few days/week (?) and then when they stop I'll know they've gone via fasthosts?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I can connect to the new laptop and do this, thats no problem, please accept the offer and I can do this for you.
And do the yahoo diversion
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
On the new Laptop, do the following please
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
downloading
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
id###-##-####password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connecting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello - i guess this is closed now? I'm getting a reject message wich says Failed to update headers. An IMAP command failed Port 993
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it was as we completed it and you replied you did not need anything else, you can click ok as its still very busy synchronizing your emails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - i've clicked ok a couple of times - will wait.
if this is a new profile and there isn't a history of emails to be had, then what's synchronising?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes - it's ok - the error message has stopped now. Just trying to access business mail on yahoo to check the sent mails are there - thanks again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcome!
Its synchronising the emails on the cloud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Richard - my emails aren't working :-(
I logged on to the new laptop this morning (I hadn't closed outlook last night) tried to sync but came up with an error message and wouldn't do anything. So closed it and now it won't open on the 'new' profile.
So thought I'd better get a backup on the old laptop, whilst I was there synched and it worked - all my emails downloaded as normal. Do you think the server hasn't saved the IMAP changes?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
this may be the case, but its why I had you choose a profile when opening it.
So open outlook and choose outlook instead of new.
Do the emails then download?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried to open outlook instead of new and get the same error message
"can't open your default e-mail folders. the file blah blah cannot be opened". I get this message whether I try to open 'new' or 'outlook'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you restart the computer and tell me if you still get the error please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - thanks - I've rebooted and it's all there. I guess I hadn't realised that of course I'll continue to receive emails to the old laptop too but the 'sent' mails won't be saved anywhere - is that correct?
Although I guess I can change the settings on the old laptop to IMAP once I'm happy it's all updating correctly?
I can't check that the sent emails are being held on the server because of a fault with Yahoo that won't be solved soon. They've transferred to aabaco and the link to check business email from their control panel isn't working for anyone.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
On the new computer that I set up for you, the sent mails will be saved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - that's right. It all seems to be ok now I've rebooted. Thanks again for your help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all working fine - have got email on phone too - thanks so much
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
perfect! and your most welcome