Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I copied some information from a friend with the OS system

I copied some information from a friend with the OS system Windows 10. I have tried to put it onto my Windows 7 OS from the USB stick but I cannot see it. Is there a copata bility problem between the two systems?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please what information it is you actually copied?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was video files
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
What happens when you try to play them on your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot even see the files but when I go to and look at the usb under computers it is telling me that there is data there but when I open it it just shows a blank
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its not a compatibility issue as the files can be switched between different windows.
Can you plug it into a different USB port on the computer.
Do you then see it?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I wl continue with the current methord as I do not think the cost justifies the expense
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats no problem, as I indicated it is optional.
Do you then see it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried other USB ports with the same outcome. I did copy one of my films from my hard drive onto the stick and it worked OK
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the stick looks to be corrupted or faulting, though not sure how you could copy the files from it when you cannot see them?But First, copy off the files from the stick.Then tell me which drive letter the stick is coming up as please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drive letter is F:. I cannot copy the files of the stick as I Said I cannot see them.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I see you mean from the hard drive to the stick.
When you do that you can see the file on the stick right? The one from the hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it works fine. When I downloaded the files from my friends computer I did test them and the worked fine. It is only since I put it onto my computer that the problem appeared. That was why I was asking if there was a compatibility issue between windows 10 and 7?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you may have missed my initial message that there is no compatibility issue, whats happened is you did not eject the memory stick or it had an issue when you did and the files where lost.
Its always why its critical you eject the stick first before removing it.
Make sure to always on all computers, eject the disk via the eject option when right clicking it in the file manager as per this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1FJUv_PkIo
If you do not, the files can be lost as you have seen here. This is what has happened and you will need to copy them back to the stick again from the windows 10 computer.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I always eject the stick in the appropriate manner, when I go to the start menu and click on computer it shows that the USB has left 5.8GB left on an 8GB stick. Why then when I open it all I can see is a file labelled .cm0013 which when I open comes up with a warning message telling me there is no associated programme with it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, before you told me you did not see any files.
So your now saying you do see a file?
Its important you tell me exactly and correctly what you see please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see the files but when looking at the capacity used on the stick it is showing 5.89GB free of 7.43GB on removable Disk (F:), that is the only reason I know that something is on there and I assume it is my 3 file but I cannot see them when I double click to open the stick. It just shows a blank screen apart from already said .cm0013.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so you do see a file, which changes the situation.
Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type
chkdsk f: /r
Press enter, let this complete and tell me if you see any other files please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can see other files and folders. I tried to copy and past on this but I cannot seem to do it. Do you want me to type it out for you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but its not clear from your message, did you run the last command I gave? Did it finish running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did run it as requested and it listed files and folders. I wanted to copy the results to let you see but I could not. I then asked if you wanted me to type them out for you to look at?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ah ok, no need as I cannot change anything about the results, check the stick and tell me if you now see the files please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have and apart from the one already mentioned I still do not see any thing. It is a mystery!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the files are corrupted beyond repair. Normally its when the stick is not ejected properly but if your certain you did this then either the format on the disk is corrupted or sectors on the disk are faulty and you would need to replace the stick.
I advise to format the stick (right click it and format) then try to copy the videos to it again.
If it still fails, then replace the stick as the data is going onto faulty sectors contained on the actual stick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Not a successful session
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but I can only go through and attempt to repair the damaged files else confirm what the issue is which I did. I think you need to see this as success s not everything is possible.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.