Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

My screen states Server not found I have checked comnection

My screen states Server not found I have checked comnection and all ok what can I do?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Is this a stand alone computer using Windows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a laptop using windows
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. What version of Windows please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay. This may take a few minutes, but I need to walk you through it step by step. First though, have there been any changes to your internet service that you are aware of?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Still with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I was called away from my computer I will have to get back to you tomorrow. Jean.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, just get back to me when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan. Sorry about delay. I am now able to access computer again. Please bear with me I am 73 years old and not very good with IT etc. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem! Click your start button then control panel. If it opens in the Category List, click on Network and Internet. Next, click on View network status and tasks, then in the left pane click on Change adapter settings. There you should see your network card which will be labeled as Local Area Connection. Right click on that and select properties and when that window opens, find the Internet Protocol Version 4 item and double click it. Another window will open to reveal the properties of that protocol. At the bottom of that window, you should see two options, the first of which may already be checked which is "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Check the option below that and when you do the Preferred and Alternate DNS server settings will highlight. To the right of the Preferred in the open boxes, type in these numbers 8.8.8.8 For the Alternate box, type in 8.8.4.4 then press OK on both windows and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed instructions and got to Find Internet Protocol Version 4 and double clicked on it. You stated a window will open to reveal the properties of that protocol but no window opened. Jean
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay then, just highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the Properties button below it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say just highlight Internet protocol. 4 what do you mean. All the other items in this list have got a tick and properties is not highlighted. The other option is install or uninstall.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Just move your mouse pointer over it and click once.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I put 8.8.8.8in the preferred DNS server it comes up. The network address entered is invalid.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Are there any other numbers in that entire window?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only numbers are the ones I put in.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I presume you have no internet connection with this computer, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not have internet connection on my computer. I have now sorted out this problem myself after getting advice from a friend. My computer was restored it to a previous time and the internet connection was restored. I was dissapointed regarding the time lapse in replying to me and think that

the question of the connection to the internet should have been questioned

much earlier.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I am glad you got it working! Have a nice day!