michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

I got to this site trying to find help brand new Microsoft

I got to this site trying to find help for my brand new Microsoft 550 phone.
I set up my only email account (Gmail) as the first Outlook e-mail account BUT the phone will not Sync my emails
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michelle
what step are you following to sync
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From Windows 10 screen I select Outlook Mail. This brings up INBOX Outlook with a blank screen and so then I tap the sync button and it gets moving dots across the top of the screen but so far this hasn't worked
is the phone connected to a wifi or a mobile network.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, both
The phone has windows 8 correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10 I think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely Windows 10 Mobile: Microsoft Lumia 550 with 1GB installed RAM
From the home screen, swipe right-to-left to get to your apps list, and then follow the steps below:Scroll down and tap on Settings.Tap Accounts.Tap Your email and accounts.Any accounts already on your Lumia will show here (including your Microsoft account). To configure another account, tap Add an account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes already got that far
From the list, find your account type and tap on it. In this example we're adding a Yahoo!account, but if your account type is not listed then tap Other account. You may need additional account-specific information to complete that setup, and we've written a guide to email server settings to assist you with this.Tap on the email address and password ***** in turn to enter your account details. You can check the password ***** tapping the eye to the right of the box, then tap Sign in to continue.Complete any other information requested by your account provider, such as the name to add to your outgoing mail (as in our example).When you see your account has been added successfully, tap Done.
I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already had my gmail account as the lead account in Outlook Mail on the phone but it is not sending or receiving emails.
did you check the pop3 settings?
you must have an active network connection and a mail account with a mail service provider. For the correct settings, contact your mail service provider.Select Application menuSelect E-mail.Select the E-mail menu.Select New account.Select Next.Enter account details:Region — Select your country or region.Service provider — Select your mail service provider. If your mail service provider is not listed, selectOther.Account title — Enter a title for the account.Select NextEnter user details:Name — Enter your name. This name is ***** ***** the sender field of sent messages.User name and Password — Enter your user name and password ***** the mail service to connect to your mailbox on the mail server.E-mail address — Enter your mail address. It must contain the @ character. Replies to your messages are sent to this address. If you selected Other as the mail service provider, define the following settings for incoming mail:Account type — Select the mail protocol (POP3 or IMAP4) recommended by your mail service provider.IMAP4 is more modern and typically enables more functionality.Some functionality may be restricted with POP3.You cannot change this setting after you save the account settings or exit the wizard.Incoming server — Enter the host name or IP address of the POP3 or IMAP4 server that receives your mail.Secure authentication — Set the system to use secure authentication.If you do not use secure connections, it is strongly recommended that you enable secure authentication.For information on the supported methods, contact your mail service provider. Secure connection — Define the security setting for incoming messages.If you access your mail over a wireless LAN (WLAN), it is strongly recommended that you use secure connections.For information on the supported secure connections, contact your mail service provider.Tip: Usually, the incoming mailbox servers (POP3 or IMAP4) are provided by your mail service provider, and the outgoing mail server (SMTP) is provided by your internet service provider. If these service providers are different, you may have different passwords and security settings for incoming and outgoing messages.Simple mail transfer protocol (SMTP) servers are used when sending mail. To send mail, you must define the SMTP host name or IP address that you obtain from the mail service provider of the connection you use. If you selected Other as the mail service provider, define the following settings for outgoing mail:Outgoing server — Enter the host name or IP address of the server that sends your mail.Secure authentication — Set the system to use secure authentication.Secure connection — Define the security setting for outgoing messages.Use connection-specific SMTP servers — Use connection-specific SMTP servers for sending mail. To edit connection-specific SMTP server settings, select Edit SMTP servers.Tip: The settings for outgoing mail (SMTP) usually either use a user name and a password, or are specific to a connection. Without an SMTP user name and password, your internet service provider may prevent you from sending mail for security reasons.To complete the mail account setup, select Finish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pop3 settings the same as on my old android phone
yes that is correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Michelle, surely there must be something easier than this.. I now have a message saying "we can't connect to IMAP.gmail.com" I have the same number of bars on the wifi connections for both the phone and my PC and I have exactly the same settings for incoming and outgoing mail servers. The emails on the PC are working perfectly but not on the phone. I may just have to take the phone back and get them to set it up for me or ask them for a different phone !
if you have data try to backup and then reset the phone to factory defaults and the try to configure the emails and other settings and then it should work fine. let me know if you want to try the reset steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think contacts are on SIM card and everything else is on SD card so I don't think there is a problem to reset to factory defaults. Will I then need to download the Windows/Microsoft stuff again?
ok good so i can give you the factory reset steps now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK go for it
Make sure the battery is not empty and don't forgot to backup all important dataTurn on the Microsoft Lumia 550Go to Menu - Setting > About > Reset Your PhoneThe smartphone will do the format process and make it to factory default.
after the factory defaults are set the you can start the mail setup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Michelle, have reset and set up the mail again but it is still not working. I will take the phone back to Cable & Wireless outlet and get them to either set it up or they can give me another phone with my contract.
if the phone has a software protocol error then you will a have to visit Lumia service center i believe its under warranty within one year the service center guys will flash the phone software and it will br good to go.
I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Thank you.
Experience: Indept expertise on MS Office package