jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

I use Outlook 2010 and have had to change my outgoing Company

Customer Question

I use Outlook 2010 and have had to change my outgoing Company server. That used to work OK.
I use www.supanet.com as my server but Outlook will not connect.
I can access my mail via the supanet web site and both send and receive mail.
I can receive mail sent to my supanet address -***@******.*** on Outlook but cannot send mail.
When setting up the account on Outlook the 'test' mail result comes back 'cannot locate outgoing server'
Any ideas????
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I will be the person helping you today. I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help. May I start a secure remote assistance session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jason,
I'd like to start by understanding why I can receive mail from Supanet but cannot connect to the server through Outlook in order to send mail.
Hello,That is a good question. The problem may be with your configuration of the mail profile, you may have some security software blocking communication, along with about 10 other things. It is difficult to tell you what the problem is before seeing the problem. What happens when you attempt to send an email? What is in your current outgoing mail configuration as far as values go?- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on sending mail I receive 'send/receive' error - cannot connect to serverOutgoing settings - smtp.supanet.com port 25 (incoming pop3.supanet.com port 110)no encryption boxes are ticked nor is secure authentification is ticked
Your configuration is correct. So it should be working. Are you running any kind of firewall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BT Net Protect Plus = McAfee.
Firewall on - Smart Access in 'Traffic Controller' and Smart Advice & Decide Automatically in 'Smart Advice and Advanced Settings' both on
We can go back and forth for the next couple hours or I can remote in and fix this for you. May I remote in at no cost and fix this for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK but I would like to understand the issue when resolved
Okay. I can tell you what the problem is when I figure out what it is. May I start the remote now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead!
Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.comAfter clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 53 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded? Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using Google Chrome - download stopped at 221kb
Try again?
Yes, please, try again.
The Internet connection is very slow. Is that to be expected? I was disconnected several minutes ago. Run the remote again, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason,
Tried to run remote again but only got an error message each time.Where and when do we go from here?
Hello,We can continue at at time you choose. -Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could we make it sometime on Monday - you chooseJim H
Hello,I will be available on Monday from 8am to 8pm (PST). Will that time frame work for you?- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fine I will contact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Jason,
Further to the problem of getting Outlook to communicate with the outgoing server.
I have the same problem on my desktop - operating XP Pro and my Windows(Nokia) phone.
I'm guessing that solving the problem on my laptop will provide a solution for all three.
Hello,Fixing the desktop problem is what the current task is for. If you need further assistance with the phone, you will have to create a new question. Please, let me know when you are ready to continue.-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fine - ready to go.
do you need to continue with remote access?
Yes, I will be available in about 25 minutes. Will that work for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.comAfter clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 72 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done
Connected.
I have run out of ideas. Your computer had more than a few faults. For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.Thank you for your patience. - Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying
Bye
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?Can you please tell me what outgoing mail server you used before that worked and why you had to change to another server for your outgoing email?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joel,
I'm in the process of gathering a few facts that may help eliminate some of the unknowns.I will come back soon with some details
Jim H
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joel,
Incoming mail through Supanet arrives on all 3 of my devices - with following inputs to Outlook software -e-mail address ***@******.*** user name Jim Hemmings
incoming port 110 use incoming address and password ***** outgoingHerewith some basics of historical works address used that worked for outgoing -User name***@******.*** domain mail.orrest.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry more to come -
Outgoing port 587 Password ***** jazzypanda82 (now defunct)This enabled outgoing mail to appear coming from Supanet.The lap top operates on Vista upgraded to Windows 7 ( I also have a desk top operating on XP Pro demonstrating the same problem)
It makes me wonder if it's not a registry problem but maybe a Microsoft Outlook glitch occurring on both.
No, the problem is not with any of your computer operating systems. The problem is with your mail host, supanet.com. You indicated that you have had other email addresses that have worked. You say that when using the email domain erma.org,uk, the outgoing mail appeared to come from supanet.com. This outgoing port address 557 was an SSL port. With what email domain was the jazzypanda82 password *****? You also mentioned another domain name, mail.orrest.com, although I am not sure what it had to do with this problem. Normally, when using webhosted email, you have to establish as linkage with the host website for them to send the supanet.com domain out on their own outgoing server, which might be mail.orrest.com, for example. Why is this no longer working for you? If this no longer works, your mail host is responsible for setting up an alternative. You need to talk to them. Please let me know if you have any problems or questions about this advice. If I have solved your problem, I would appreciate a good or an excellent rating. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.