jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

My computer uses windows 7 operating system and I wish to change

Customer Question

My computer uses windows 7 operating system and I wish to change my user password ***** I've forgotten it. I do not have an installation disk because everything was preloaded at purchase. I bought the computer about three years ago. I cannot use the password ***** wizard because I do not know the original password ***** I do not have a disk to supplement the wizard. I need a password ***** allow me to clean up and defrag my computer.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Hi Andrew. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.Can you tell me the brand and model number of your laptop?There is free software that can get you back in to the computer. It's a pretty technical processthat takes some time. Your laptop may have a recovery manager that will save your files while re-installing Windowsbut whether that can be done or not depends on the model.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Byron,
The computer is a desktop, not a laptop. It is a Packard Bell Imedia D2522 UK with an intel Celeron processor
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. The Packard Bell recovery process does not have an automated feature that allows a user to back up their data priorto re-installing the operating system. This means that in order to preserve the data the drive would need to be removed from the computer and connected to another PC via USB-to-SATA adapter and the data copied to alternate storage. The drive would then be returned to the PC and the recovery initiated. When complete, the previously copied data can be returned to the machine. This is something a local computer shop would be equipped to do. The other option I mentioned earlier involves creating a bootable CD or flash drive and using that to try and reset the user passwordor unlock the master Windows administrator account on the computer.
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Does your machine have a label on it showing a number called as SNID ?It's an identifier for your particular machine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately I can not find an SNID.It is the administrator account that is causing the problem. If I could unlock this it may solve the problem. Other family users of the computer are not password *****
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
I think I see the problem. Your user account for which the password ***** ***** is the only user account on the machinethat has administrative privileges and the other accounts are standard user accounts and basically can't make any or only limitedchanges on the computer?
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
The first thing that will need to be done is to configure the computer to boot from a CD diskPower on the system. When the first logo screen appears, press the F2 key to enter the BIOS. Press the right arrow key to select Main. Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER. Select Enabled, and press ENTER. Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Then Please, follow the instructions below to reset your computer's password:- Click the following link and save the file: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd Download the Vista/7 ISO file- Burn that ISO file to a CD. You can use the application found here if you do not have a CD burning software that will burn ISO image files: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home- Place the CD in the problem computer, turn it off, turn it on, press the shortcut key responsible for the boot menu ( F12 ), choose the CD-ROM, and boot.- Choose Automatic and press Enter- Sit back and allow the program to locate the passwords for you. It may take up to 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank-you. I shall give this a try. Unfortunately I don't have a CD to hand, but I'll get one tomorrow and then follow your instructions, I will contact you once I've run the process.
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Certainly. You may need to perform this from another PC. I'm not certain if the other user accounts on the machine willbe allowed to install the CD burning software.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Many apologies for the delay in responding. Unfortunately, what you suggested did not work. I managed to get the computer to boot using a CD\ ROM and I downloaded onto a CD the ISO files you suggested. However, when restarting the computer it will not run the program on the CD, nor will it allow me to run the software.
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Hi. Did you use CDBurner XP to burn the Windows 10 ISO file to the DVD disk? see attachment
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Disregard the reference to the Windows 10 ISO. I meant did you use CDBurner Xp to burn theOphcrack file to the CD?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I didn't, but I will now.
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Once that is done you then boot from the CD and the Ophcrack program will run.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately my computer wont let me run the cdburnerxp without giving a password.
Expert:  Byron replied 9 months ago.
Is there any computer you have access to where you will be allowed to create the disk?Ophcrack will display your forgotten password ***** the only way to do it is to boot the computerfrom the disk.