Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have just downloaded Windows 10 and it does not work. I get

Customer Question

I have just downloaded Windows 10 and it does not work. I get the expected screen but it keeps flashing on and off until there is just a blank screen.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome, Remove the power cable to the computer and hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.then connect the power cable, turn on the computer and tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this but it makes no difference.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What now happens Derrick when the computer starts up? Still just a blank screen?And do you get to the sign in window?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can log in and progress to the desktop screen with the icons. If I say open a Windows Explorer screen (Wndws+E) and for a moment things looked ok. So I try opening another Windows screen and both WE screens disappear and the blank screen switches on and off.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, with the blank screen, press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)Can you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Things seem to be improving in that getting the blank screen coming and going is less noticeable. So I have got to Command prompt (Admin) from the desktop. While I have been typing this note the screen went blank and came back to the desktop without the User Account Control screen being present. So what do I do with this Command prompt?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but can you type in the black box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Then tell me if windows loads please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer has completed the sfc/scannow command with no integrity violations. So I will start the chkdsk /r command now. it follows your instructions so currently the machine is restarting. The upgrading on the faulty computer to Windows 10 from Windows 7 took 5 hours (not the suggested 90mins). I have now paid £26 to get your services. Are you able to clarify what the deposit means. Personally I am not feeling very happy abut this - I mean can I get the money back?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
so your doing my instructions and now your not happy, even though we are not finished so not sure why, and you want a refund?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in no way criticizing your work to help me get the problem sorted out. My wish at the moment is that we can successfully get this machine back on the air. All I am asking is how do I make representations to Microsoft in the light of me downloading Windows 10 and finding I can't use the computer now and having to pay to have it sorted out. Perhaps you are not the person to ask.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No I am not sorry as I am only an engineer, I have no idea about communications with Microsoft on that level sorry. But this is a paid service, and I am compensated when we fix this, based on your rating, it is not in any way free.How is it proceeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scanning and repairing drive (C:) 13% complete. This has been going about 40 mins. So this is going to take a while yet. You must have to go home. How do we carry on this conversation tomorrow?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you can reply here with a message Derrick, like you are doing now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks Richard for your help. I will probably talk to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, can we carry on with this problem now please. The chkdsc command finished last night. I wasn't aware of any comments because the computer had returned to the standard W10 cave scene. Looking this morning there is improvement in that the desktop screen remains up and there is no longer switching to a blank screen. But what is wrong now is that when I open an application window it stays up for a moment or two and then disappears together with any other I have opened and I am just left with the desktop screen. Derrick
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, follow the steps here to create a new accounthttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10Once done, use this new account to sign into your computer and tell me how it now operates please Derrick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done as you suggested. I had a bit of a problem in that the screens occasionally switch off. So, for example, on the new account screen I only managed to enter a signin of "djc". On selecting Next I did not get a Finish button as suggested in the instructions. But I was taken back to the "Family and other users" screen where an additional local account of "djc" has appeared. I assume the account has therfore been set up. However it doesn't make any difference to the problem. Can you tell me if you can take over the machine from your end?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, if you wish for me to take over, please accept the offer for the additional service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still do not understand what this "refundable" deal means. So I think I will carry on as we are if you don't mind. Can you give me further instructions please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, did you actually sign into this new account and see how it operated in this new account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I hadn't. So I have now. What I find now (a) The account setup today ("djc") is the only one I can now find. When I look at "Settings - Accounts" the account I have always used has gone. Is that expected? (b) When I open applications, other than Windows Explorer, they remain on the desktop screen though the latter refreshs at odd intervals. (c) If I open Explorer, it remains up for about 30 seconds then disappears. I just feel that the set up is still flaky. I must admit to not having much confidence in the system at the moment. I don't know what you advise. I suppose this turning the computer over to you may be the only real option available. I know its not your concern but when this is over I shall complain to Microsoft about using me as a beta site and expecting me to pay for the privelege.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
a) No, unless you deleted the account, but points then to a corrupted accountb) I am not to clear on this sorry.But it is my concern your not happy with windows 10, it's just I am unable to do anything about it from that point of view, only fix the issue.But the next step we need to do is reinstall windows.Is all your files backed up off the computer? Programs we need to install again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Richard thanks. Sorry to vent my frustration on you. I will check that I have everything backed up and then get back to you. Derrick
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
its ok Derrick, I understand the frustration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fortunately I do have everything backed up - data wise. This is just as well because with the "djc" account when I look under Documents in Explorer or Pictures there is no My Documenst or My Pictures so all of my personal files have been wiped presumably with the disappearance of the former account. There is nothing in the Recycle bin either. So we start with a "clean" machine. I did check under Local Disc C:/Users/Carol (the name of the previous account) and on clicking on Carol the screen clears back to desktop. So much for the claim that downloading Microsoft 10 leaves all your files untouched. So, Richard tell me what I need to do to reload Windows 10 and then I will go and dig the garden for a few hours!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Garden work is always good, especially if it is sunny.Ok, power off the computer.Power it on and on the sign in screen do not sign in but hold shift and with it held, click on the power icon and click restart.Keep shift held down until the computer has restarted and your at a menu.Choose Troubleshoot, then reset My Pc.Choose to restore factory so it is as new.Let this complete and when it has, the computer will be as new, so you set it up again.Tell me how it then functions please Derrick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The removal of all files and apps has finished using the "Just removing files" route and pressing RESET. I have entered the basic parameters and reconnected to my network. I am now at the "Get going fast - Use Express settings". I recgnise this has the state of play after Windws 10 had done the preliminary installation work. Do I just proceed with the installation now?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Widows 10 is now in. Did not take long and it looks solid enough. I realise now that the only icon I have is "Recycle Bin". I have lost, amongst all the other applications, is Microsoft Office. Computer is not much use for me without that. Still it looks ok now. Thanks for your help. I have no issue with you Richard I will fill in your rating now. But I can't say I am impressed with the Windows 10 free download.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, programs you have to install again. To be honest, its not often the upgrade gives such issues, so there were underlying issues before the upgrade Derek, that this brought to light.But glad its running solid now, it is a good system, probably the best, ***** ***** is working.If you need anything else, please let me know and appreciate you doing the rating when you can via the stars at the top then submitThank you