Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I upgraded last year from W8 to W10 and loved it, but suddenly

I upgraded last year from W8 to W10 and loved it, but suddenly recently I have lost the ability to get at the apps screen. When I hit the Windows button, a ' critical error ' message comes up " start menu error - start again & we will try to fix". But it does not happen. The
' search Windows & web' button does not work either, so cannot get at anything that way. Am unable to turn off computer without holding power button down.
I am finding that quite a few other things do not work any longer, and my work files have either disappeared altogether, or have been ' shuffled '.
On Internet, I see that I am not allowed me with this problem, but cannot find any Microsoft recommendations to correct it ???
Help, please.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Hi there and welcome JohnCan you please do the followingPress the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Then check if you still have the problem I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please. Else let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
After putting chkdsk/r , it comes up " access denied.... insufficient privileges ' etc
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
yes its because you clicked command prompt and not command prompt (admin)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You are right...... Now thro to scanning and repair
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi again Richard
It has been 4.5 hours and my screen still shows
Scanning and repairing drive (C:) 10% complete
Is this expected if a longer task ?? John
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Whilst out of the room, my laptop has booted up to the sign-in page. I continued but see no improvement as the same critical error message appeared as soon as I touched the Windows icon. This is a real disappointment. I hope you have another solution?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Please bear in mind its a process of eliminating the causes for this John.Can you please make a new user account on the computer, use these instructions to do thishttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10Sign in with this new user account and tell me if in this new user account it works please
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cannot find a way to get into settings
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have found settings at last, but the " +Add someone else to this PC " button does not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
ok, you will need to do a refresh of windows. This reinstalls windows and removes your programs but leaves your data alone.First, as you should have one anyway, save your data to a external hard drive.Then restart the computer and on the sign in page, do not sign in but hold the left SHIFT key, and with it held, click on the power icon and click restart. Keep shift held until it has restarted and your at a menu.Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC.Choose the option to keep your data then complete the reset.Once done, it should then function correctly.Let me know the results please
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi again Richard
Followed latest instruction, and it is a success.
I have Windows button working thro to apps.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Seems my work files are back in place. However, I have found a file in Quick Access which I do not remember L:\This PC It has a big blue question mark over it. What is this?
Got lots of replacing of apps. Downloaded Excel to test my spreadsheets, but is only read-only, rather than the operative version. I guess this is one of the problems I have to overcome.
Thanks for getting me a working system again.
I have read that 8000 people have registered the same 'breakdown ', and it seems to have been triggered by power cuts in many instances, and I suffered one about the time I started to get the critical error messages.
Very relieved. Thanks again.