Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

How do I set up the time line &bar chart for the fiscal year

How do I set up the time line &bar chart for the fiscal year 2016 April through 31 March 2017 and can I put Milestones on this?thanks Mike ******
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I should also have said I have microsoft project 2010
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mike,

First, to set up the timeline:

1. Click the View tab.

2. Select the Timescale format at the bottom of the Timescale drop-down menu.

The Timescale dialog box opens.

3. Click a tier tab and select a style for Units, Label, and Align.

4. Set the count.

For example, if your Units choice is weeks and you change the Count option to 2, the timescale appears in two-week increments.

5. To prevent the display of a certain tier, select One Tier or Two Tiers from the Show drop-down list in the Timescale Options section.

6. To use fiscal-year notation in the timescale, select the Use Fiscal Year check box.

Set the fiscal year by choosing File→Options→Schedule.

7. To show marks at the beginning of each unit of time, select the Tick Lines check box.

8. Repeat Steps 2 through 6 for each tier that you want to modify.

9. Click the Non-Working Time tab.

10. In the Draw options, select the one you prefer.

Your choices are to have the shaded area for nonworking time appear behind task bars or in front of task bars or to simply not appear.

11. In the Color or Pattern list, select different options for the shading format.

12. Click the Calendar setting and select a different calendar on which to base the timescale.

13. Click the OK button to save your new settings, which apply only to the timescale for the currently displayed view.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

To create a milestone:

1. On the View menu, click Gantt Chart.

2. Type the name of the new milestone in the Task Name field for the first empty row in the list.

3. With the milestone selected in the grid, click Task Information .

4. On the Advanced tab, type the milestone duration in the Duration box.

5. Select the Mark task as milestone check box, and then click OK.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for letting me know. The Gnant chart screen is showing the full activities for tasks. I only need Task name at this stage for the high level view I am trying to create. Do I reduce it using the cursor, moving it to the left before I star the answer provide?
Mike
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mike,

The easiest way to show the full list of tasks is to just slide the screen divider bar all the way to the right so that there is no Gantt chart displayed on the screen.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete
Thanks help fine apart from I cannot find how to marks on begining of each unit of time. Your iem 7 in response.
Mike
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

To clarify Item 7, you can set different timescales and lines for your project as follows:

1. On the View tab, in the Zoom group, click the Timescale list and then click Timescale.

2. In the Timescale dialog box, click the Top Tier, Middle Tier, or Bottom Tier tab.

3. In the Show list, select the number of tiers that you want to display in the timescale. By default, two tiers are displayed.

4. Do the following for each tier of your timescale:

• In the Units box, select the time unit that you want to use.

• In the Label list, select the label format that you want to use to display the time unit.

• In the Count box, type or select a number to specify the frequency of unit labels on the timescale tier.

For example, if the unit is weeks, and you type 2, then the timescale tier is separated into 2-week segments.

• In the Align list, select Left, Center, or Right to align the the label.

• To display or hide vertical lines between unit labels, select or clear the Tick lines check box.

Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.