chrisaw
chrisaw, DevOps Manager
Experience:  DevOps Manager with over 10 years experience in the DevOps and IT field.
58355812

I think the way forward is to try to reinstall windows 7. I

I think the way forward is to try to reinstall windows 7. I have a rewritable cd can you give me some guidance as to how to proceed?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  chrisaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter, In order to download and burn a legal copy of the Windows 7 install DVD you can do this at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7 For this you will need your Windows install key (which you can get by running the key.vbs file on your Desktop) and a blank DVD. As long as your computer has a DVD writer that should be all you need. If your computer does *not* have a DVD writer you could achieve the same results with a USB drive if you prefer. Hope this helps and best of luck with this. I'm very sorry we were not able to correct this on the live assistance session but unfortunately due to the nature of the problem it doesn't look like any kind of repair without using a Windows install DVD is going to work at this point. Just to confirm though - you will need a DVD rather than a CD since Windows 7 wont fit on a CD. Alternatively, you can use a USB drive as I mentioned above. Also be aware that you will want the 64bit build for your laptop and I would make a note of your current CD key just in case it's needed after reinstall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a usb drive with 952 Mb free. Will this be big enough?
Expert:  chrisaw replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately not - you would need around ~5GB in total and the USB drive will be erased as part of the write process so be very careful that you don't lose your data.
Expert:  chrisaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter, Just checking up with you to make sure you got my last message and you're all clear on what the steps are to download and write the windows 7 image to a USB drive or DVD (which ever you choose)? If there's anything you're not clear on just let me know and I'll try to clarify. :) Thanks! Christopher
Expert:  chrisaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter, If my answer above resolved the problem - could you possibly take a few moments to rate my answer? :) Thanks a lot! Christopher