Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

How to import mac contacts into windows 10 outlook. the

Customer Question

how to import mac contacts into windows 10 outlook. the contacts have successfully exported as vcf file . but windows does not seem to recognise.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Windows should recognise vcf files ok. How many vcf files do you have?

Outlook’s import function is limited to 1 vcf file at a time. The same is true for having multiple contacts in a single vCard; Outlook will only import the first contact in that file.

If you only have a handful of vcf-file to import, you could double click them to open them with Outlook and then press Save & Close to also actually save them in Outlook. This is of course quite cumbersome when you have lots of contacts to import.

To still be able to quickly import these contacts into Outlook, you can export to a csv-file instead.

To export to a csv-file, if you still have access to the original application holding your contacts on the Mac and it supports exporting to a csv-file as well, then this is the best approach.

Once you have your csv-file, you can import it via File-> Open & Export-> Import/Export-> Import from another program or file-> Comma Separates Values

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have 442 contacts. really frustrated as surely a group can be uploaded
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
followed advice from apple and they are exported as vcd file
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
meant vcf file
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately that advice was incorrect - you cannot upload as a group to Outlook.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i export to csv file
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Do you still have access to the original application holding your contacts on the Mac? (e.g. Mac Mail)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have both mac and windows laptop in front of me
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Ok, where are your contacts stored on the Mac? Mac Mail, or something else?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in the contacts application
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Ok, the Contacts app only allows vcf or abbu format.

However there is another method you can use if the Mac has Numbers on it...

What version of Numbers do you have on the Mac?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3.5.2
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Select all of your contacts in Contacts, press Command-c to copy them, then go to Numbers 3.5.2 and click once in a cell of an existing table, and press Command-v to paste. Then in Numbers, select File > Export to > CSV...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done and copied to flash drive, whats next?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

So now go to Outlook on the Windows computer and select Import and import the csv file.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but in outlook there is no option to import cvs file. only vcf file or comma separated file.??
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

comma separated file is csv

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

(comma separated value)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, now the dialogue box is requesting destination folder? do i choose outlook
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

You can choose the Outlook Contacts folder, or any folder you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok have chosen outlook and something seems to have uploaded but i can't see anything in the outlook contacts
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Which version of Outlook are you using?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry , how do I find that out
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

From the Help menu, click About Microsoft Office Outlook.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Before you clicked Finish to import all of the contacts contained within the CSV file to Outlook, did you map the custom fields first?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
outlook 2016 mso (16.0.6701.1021)
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Ok in Outlook 2016 you'll need to go back and import again and map the custom fields.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

To do that when importing, click on the Map Custom Fields… button, drag the values from the csv file on the left to the matching field on the right. You can check the map custom fields is correct for your contacts using Next and Previous.

Once you make sure all columns from the CSV file are mapped to the desired Outlook address book fields, click "OK" and finally click "Finish". Now, all of the contacts contained within the CSV file are successfully imported to Outlook.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok clicked om map custom fields ..what now
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

see previous post.

Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
looks complicated...can you come on line or phone
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Please click here and follow the instructions to start the remote assistance:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=13c3910e-a937-4963-bb2b-1c1cdef20092

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hold on...as i chatting with you on the mac for instructions. surely you need to remote access the pc?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Yes I will need remote access to the PC - can you forward the link I sent you to it?

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Remote session completed.