Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have an IPad that uses the Microsoft Word App. The App

I have an IPad that uses the Microsoft Word App. The App automatically saves my documents as docx. files. I need to change a document to a doc. file. Is there a way that I can do this using only my IPad?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

You cannot do it in the app itself, but rename the file and remove the X and word will then be able to open it.

But can I ask why you wish to save it as a .doc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am submitting a story to a publisher and need to upload it to their online submission system. Their guidelines say that all stories must be saved as either doc. or rich text format files. I imagine that this is because their computer can not open docx. files.I get this problem a lot. Their are a lot of publishers, magazines, Webzines etc. who only accept submissions via online submission systems or as attachments to email. The majority of them all stipulate that stories must be either doc files or rich text files. Hardly anyone accepts docx. files or links to third party storage sites like One Drive.I do not have a PC or Laptop with the full version of word on it, just my iPad with the app. I usually end up going out to libraries and Internet cafes etc in order to find a "public" computer that has the PC version of Word on it. I use that to turn my work into a doc. file, then I send it from there. This is quite time consuming and also increasingly difficult as there are not many Internet cafes around these days.If there was a way to create a doc file (that the publisher would accept and be able to open and read) using only my iPad, then that would make the whole thing easier and save me time and money. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No sorry, as docx is the format that's in use since 2007, so no App on the iPad does this

But you can convert it online for free with this site

http://www.zamzar.com/convert/docx-to-doc/

From the iPad, though I am amazed that the sites you use still do not allow docx.... thats from 2003, maybe its worth trying a docx to see if they accept it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for the link. I had a look at it. Unfortunately, when I click browse to find my file, it only gives me the option to take a photo or browse photo library or google drive. The file I need is in One Drive and can also be saved onto my IPad itself. Is there any way I can tell it to look there?I can cut and paste the text into a Google document, but that takes out the text formatting and I can not get it back into right layout using only google docs app on iPad. I CAN however get it into the right layout with word app. If I was to cut and paste into Google Docs document, save it as a docx. file, convert it to doc file with the online software, then open it again in word app on iPad and use that to make the changes to the layout, would the file still be doc. file or would the iPad convert it back to docx file and leave me right back where I started from?It would be simpler if I could just tell it to look on One Drive for the file lol! Or maybe the hard drive of iPad...Sorry I know I'm probably being an awkward customer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

actually I found an app that does this, was not easiest to find but use this

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/docx-to-doc/id909990523?mt=8

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Me again. Thanks for the app. I downloaded it. Unfortunately I can not figure out how to get the file from my word / one drive app across to the Docxs to Docs app. The new app just has a blank list with no files in it. The on screen instructions don't seem to help. They tell me to open the file, click share and then click "Open in Docxs to Docs" from list, which sounds really simple. On my Word app, however, the "button" they indicate appears before I open the document, not inside it and "Open in Docxs to Docs" is not on the list
I took a break and came to it bu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that. Accidentally hit send before I finished typing. Just can't seem to get the two things to talk to each other? Do you think upgrading to the full version of the app would help?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It wont allow to save as doc but do the instructions for sharing on the link I gave please so you can share to the converter app.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for the instructions. I read them. However, I don't really see how this will help as this all has to do with sharing the file with people not programs.I tried copying and pasting the link into the Docxs to docs app. However the app won't let me copy and paste the link into it. I also tried copying and pasting it into the online converter you sent me a link to, however it won't convert the file as it says the file has no file extension.You have been very helpful. However I think I am going to have to finish this conversation now as I'm getting nowhere. I know that I have dragged this out all day, sorry. Thank you for your help and I'm sorry to waste your time.Kind regards,Jenny
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You share Jenny but you choose the App and share it to this.

Else would you consider using Dropbox to store it online then you can access it easily with a computer

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Can not figure out how to share with app. It's not on any list of things that comes up.When I click "invite people", it expects me to enter names or email addresses of friends, not names of programs. I have tried typing docxs to docs app in but it keeps telling me the email address is invalid!When I click "send attachment" it does give me the option to use some other apps such as Gmail and Notes however the docxs to docs app is not on the list.Thanks for your help anyway. Hope you get someone easier next. I will rate you at the top of the page.Kind regards,Jenny
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

its very strange why it will not open

Press and hold on the file instead, do you then get the share option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, but I think we are both getting confused now. I'll keep playing around with the apps and see if I can get them to get them to work. I'll rate you at the top of the page.Bye now.Kind regards,Jenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, didn't fix the problem, but tried really hard and was very helpful. Maybe I just can't do this on IPad. Not really his fault.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you Jenny

If you need anything else, please let me know.