Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I use Outlook 2013 to manage 3 gmail accounts. Yesterday

Customer Question

I use Outlook 2013 to manage 3 gmail accounts. Yesterday evening teh accounts were not syncing. This morning the main account was still not syncing but another was, but Outlook keeps "not responding" and will then not load, giving the message:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:\Users\Mick\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*****@******.*** cannot be opened
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using Windows 7, 8 or 10?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Windows 10
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check your Outlook 2013 issues and fix them while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using our additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session.

1. Please click on this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=ef8afc18-14c6-429f-a3cb-5540d28b33e8

2. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button
3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.
4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.

Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HI,
A small and hopefully easy follow up question. The account that was causing the problem does not now display the number of unread items in brackets. I have looked in properties and "show number of unread items" is checked. I changed to "show total number of items" but that also does not display.
Any ideas.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

So how does it look now? Even if there are 20 unread emails, nothing is shown unless you open the Inbox?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Correct. I normally only open teh inbox when I see there are unread items.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that confirmation. Please do the following:

1. Press Ctrl+E to open “Search Current Mailbox” box
  2. In that box type: read:no
  3. Then press Enter.
  4. When it shows “Find More on Server” link, please click on it.
  5. Then see if the count for unread email(s) appears.
  6. If not, please close Outlook, then open it again

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't see "Find More on Server"
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

What happens after Step 3?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The unread items are displayed as soon as I type read:no
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Please make sure that in Step 2, there is no space between : and n. (read:no)

If it does not work for you, then we can reset your Outlook views but the process will delete any custom made views.

Here are the steps:

1. Close MS Outlook
  2. Open the RUN box by right clicking on the Start button (Microsoft logo) then click RUN
  3. In the RUN box, type: outlook.exe /cleanviews
  4. Then click OK
  5. Outlook shall open then see if the problem is resolved
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had no space.
Don't know if relevant, but I just tried to open v2 using run, outlook.exe/safe and it doesn't offer teh options, just opens v1
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

V1 is Outlook and V2 is Outlook 2. SO if the problem is with v1, please go to run and instead of using outlook.exe /safe, use outlook.exe /cleanviews

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just had a "not responding" and Outlook would then not reopen. Same message as yesterday.
run, outlook.exe/safe gave me access to v2 yesterday. Why not today?
I'm going to reboot and see if v1 will open. Will come back to you.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
After reboot, run:\outlook.exe.safe gave me the option of v1 or v2. Strange?
I added***@******.*** to v2 and the unread count was showing.
I closed it and opened v1 and realised that the counts WERE showing in the body of ***@******.*** but not in the Inbox, Sent or Bin folders that I was showing in favourites. I removed them from favourites and put them back - it now works.
Things seem ok now, but I am concerned about the need to reboot again this morning. I will of course revert if I have teh problem again.
Cheers
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

When you use the RUN dialog you will always be prompted for v1 or v2, that is normal, unless you set one of them as the default.

I am glad that it is working now. Please let me know if the problem reoccurs so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When you use the RUN dialog you will always be prompted for v1 or v2, that is normalAs I mentioned that was not the case earlier. Fingers crossed.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, please give it another try then. With the /safe switch or command, it should prompt you for v1 or v2. But if not, then you might have selected v1 OR v2 as the default profile.

But if using the /safe switch you are prompted for v1 or v2, but not when using the /cleanviews switch, then it could be the commands default behavior for v1.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess