Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

My outlook willonot launch and i can't access emails from

Customer Question

my outlook willonot launch and i can't access emails from outside
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there Martin and welcome

Can you tell me please the error you get when outlook fails to launch?

Which version of outlook are you using?

And is this a windows or mac computer and which version?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a Macbook Pro. No error message. It tries to launch the name plate appears and then instantly disappears
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

hich version of outlook are you using?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
10.11.2 Mac.
outlook Mac 2011
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

1. Quit all applications.
  2. Hold down the Option key on the keyboard, and then start Outlook 2011.

Note You can also browse to the Database Utility by opening the Application folder and then opening the Microsoft Office 2011 folder. Open the Office folder, and then double-click Microsoft Database Utility.app.
  3. In the Database Utility window, select the database that you want to maintain, and then click Rebuild.
  4. The Rebuilding Main Identify window will open and show the progress. When the operation is completed, you will receive the message "Your database was rebuilt successfully."
  5. Click Done.

Then tell me if it now opens please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks...doing that.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

thank you

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there's microsoft database utility within the office folder. Is that it. When that opens it says at the top Main Identity
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that what I re-build?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

yes please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
in stage 3 of 5
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it seems to be hanging in 3 of 5 copying new records to database. Is this normal?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

No, it should have finished by now, so this is going to be the issue

restart the mac and tell me what happens when you now try to open it please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how will i get back to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

return to this web page please and post a message, like you are doing now.

you can press Command + D to add this page to your favorites.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i try to launch it and the title plate comes up and it gets to "setting up identity" and then it closes down
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK Thanks. Be back.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do still have the problem
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, you will need to reinstall office

Go to finder and Applications and drag the office folder to the trash

Click Go > Computer, double-click your hard disk icon, and open Library. ...

Open Application Support, and drag the Microsoft folder to Trash.

Back in Library, open Fonts, and drag the Microsoft folder to Trash.

Then restart, install office again and open outlook and it should now function

Let me know please how you go.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
richard
Thanks for all your help so far. I have removed the old office and re-installed it and I'm afraid it still shuts down when the title plate gets to "setting up identity"
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok,

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Then try to open outlook please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
which is the option key please
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK option = alt. Richard, Have done it three times and although it stayed up thinking about it for quite a long time , it still wouldn't complete its opening procedure and closes down. So frustrating...i appreciate your help....have we run out of things to do? Why might it do this?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Open outlook with Opt / Alt held down so the identity manager comes up.

then choose new identity there

Can it create it?

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.