jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

I have a really old database which I have been using as my

Customer Question

Hi, I have a really old database which I have been using as my stockbook for years now. Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I have been having problems. The dates have now all gone into US instead of UK format and I am having problems finding all my old saved queries that I run each year for the accountant - please could you advise as I am getting very worried. I am not a whiz kid with database, I only have a beginners knowledge. I need to keep the database safe as it is all my self employed records of my antiques stock for the last ....... years. Kind regards, Helen
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Which database format is the stockbook currently in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryan, Microsoft Access, it was created in the 1990s and has moved through until it is now operating in Office 2010 I think, it is in compatible mode but has worked great until I upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't find and run my saved queries where I put new dates into the query. The database was bespoke to my needs, designed by someone who worked in databases in the 90s, I would not know how to re-design and can't afford to get anyone to do it for me now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies Bryan, my sturdy laptop has had to go for a new keyboard and I have borrowed a friends. It seems that IT was sent to try me!! Thank you for your attention in this matter
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Would you be able to send me the database as well as the various queries that you used with it? You can just send the structure along with sample data in the DB if you like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am collecting my laptop tomorrow - it had to have a new keyboard after it played up on Tuesday. I will send to you once I have it back.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I'll talk to you then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will get back to you tomorrow - I have a busy day so may be tomorrow evening, just had laptop back but so tired now I need to sleep. Thanks once again for your patience
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I'll be in and out all day tomorrow but if you upload the files, I will take a look as soon as I see them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Bryan, thank you for your patience. I have only just got home, its been an incredibly busy day - I had to do my civic duty and retrieve 1100 small plastic ducks from the river in the local charity duck race - along with other things. However, I can now send you a copy of the database. It is in its entirety as I don't know how else to send it. All queries should be within it, the ones I need regularly are:- items left in stock, total sales for year, total purchases for year, all of which are date specific and when I have run them in the past they ask me for dates, I may use others listed depending on what information I need. I did not write the database, someone did it for me. I hope you can work it out. Kind regards, Helen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having trouble uploading files, "We're sorry – an unknown error occurred. Please try again", I have tried about six times but no luck, please can I share online, but I need an email address to share to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoXAY-dVeOkwuB-xR4Jn5NIE2bIv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope the link works .....
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I've got the file and will be reviewing it this evening. I'll let you know what I find as soon as I have something for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Bryan, it is so old and large but invaluable to me. I will await your information, I apologise once again for being so sporadic with my answers for you. Helen
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry but I'm afraid I am going to have to opt out of this question and open it up to other experts. It may be because I have a different Office setup as you since I am in the U.S. but I cannot seem to find any problem with the date calculations.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

I have your document and am trying to locate the problem, but am unable to do so. May I ask for you to walk me through one process that you follow when you see the problem mentioned.

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bryan and Hi Jason, thank you for taking a look. I am having trouble locating my queries on this database. Also since I downloaded Windows 10 all the dates have taken on the US format instead of the UK format which I used when the person who created the database set up my queries. I am not very good with databases so don't know where to look for the queries to run them, i.e. to find my current stock level and find out how much I spent in the year and how much profit I made in the year. I am not sure how else to describe the problem. Thanks, Helen

Thank you for the update. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.