Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

When sorting an excel spreadsheet by any field it jumbles

Customer Question

when sorting an excel spreadsheet by any field it jumbles the data and makes no sense
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Hi David, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using a Windows computer? What version of Excel are you using?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no I am not using a Windows computer. I am using the 365 version of ExcelRegards David
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

David,

Thank you for writing back with that information. Is this sorting problem happening in a specific file? Or on all excel files that you are working on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jess The problem seems intermittent some files seem ok the data is similar everyday. Yesterdays file was ok yesterday, I added some more data to some of the rows today and tried to sort by various fields all seemed corrupted. Today's file
was corrupted as soon as I tried to sort. I hope this is usefulDavid
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

David,

Thank you for writing back with that information.

I believe the problem is with your MS Excel program, not on the file. Please boot your Mac computer in Safe Mode, and then test if your Excel sorting problem is gone. Here are the steps in booting into Safe Mode:

1. Shut down the computer. To do this, click the Apple icon, and then select Shut Down.
  2. Start your computer by pressing the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.

Note Press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone. However, do not press the Shift key before you hear the startup tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and the progress indicator on the screen. The progress indicator resembles a spinning gear. This might take a while (up to two minutes). Wait and do not restart the computer again. During startup, you will see Safe Boot displayed in the login window. (This appears even if you normally log in automatically.)
    1. If Mac OS X is configured to start up to the login screen, log on as the user who is running the Office for Mac software. Otherwise, skip this step.
    2. Immediately press the Shift key. This bypasses any startup items in the StartupItems folder.

When you are in Safe Mode, please test your Excel if sorting problem is gone.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jess I am sorry if I misled you on your question regarding my computer I thought you were referring to the maker. In fact it is a PC.I would actually prefer to use the securely connect service so you can deal with what has to be done I need the computer for a few hours, say till 3 oclock today will this be ok ? Also will you tell me what was wrong after it is fixed ? Can you contact me after 3 when you are ready ?
Regards David
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

David,

Thank you for using our Secure Remote Assistance service. Are you available for a remote session now? Or will it be 3 hours from now?

Please let me know so that I can send you the procedures to join me in the remote session.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

David,

Yes, you can use your computer now and we can just do the remote session at 3 oclock your time. And yes, after fixing the problem, I can tell you what caused the problem so that it can be prevented to re-occur in the future.

I will just send the procedures later (3 oclock your time) when you are possibly ready for the remote session.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
JessI have now finished what I needed to do and am now ready for the remote session.
I look forward to hearing from youregards david
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

David,

Thank you for writing back. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session.

1. Please click on this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=d3105402-b115-45b7-b9b7-053967da9343

2. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button
3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.
4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.

Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess