Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Uploaded Windows 10 when it was first available last Sept.

Uploaded Windows 10 when it was first available last Sept. Ran it for 2 weeks and decided not to keep it and returned to my Windows 7 version by way of the Windows option. This was because my Toshiba laptop is not compatible with some functions in Windows 10 and I could not use my DVD player or Skype or load live TV from my computer to my TV screen.
Ok - since then I have had on going problems. I can no longer back up to an external drive, keeps telling me access denied. I can no longer download from my camera to my laptop without going through a lot involved rigmarole cutting and pasting to my desktop and then into my files and Skype was a huge issue - not being able to download the latest version or uninstall the previous version. Good news is I have fixed the Skype problem courtesy of your trouble shooting programme - but the rest of the problems are ongoing. Could it be that Windows 10 did not completely uninstall from my computer? And if so - how can I fix that?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Denise

There can be issues when reverting back and data corruption that can occur so we will do the following.

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me please how it functions.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok Richard I have done as you asked and I'm about to re-start the computer - Denise
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Richard. I have re-started the computer and it did - nothing! It booted up as per normal and it doesn't appear to be "running" anything..... Denise
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Did you run the second command? chkdsk /r

Did it say

the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n

Did you say Y ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did run the chkdsk/r - and I did get the message and typed in Y
Then it told me it would run the check when I restarted the computer
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

ok, though there is a space before the /

Can you redo that command please

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Will do and I'll get back to you- Denise
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok Richard - I've redone everything and I'm re-starting the computer.....hopefully this won't take hours and I'll get back to you shortly :)
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Richard - not sure if you're still around......The CHKDSK has finally finished - it only took 4 hours! Um not sure what the outcome was....I received a message on screen after Stage 5 of 5 to say it had finished checking and would restart my computer. Then just before it did I got another message - on the black screen that said amongst other things....The volume is clean. Does this mean there isn't anything drastically wrong? So what do I do now?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok I don't think you are still there so I will wait to hear from you, hopefully tomorrow. Another thing - can I double check that the payment for this is a one off - I don't really want to sign up for a monthly subscription to anything. Thanks Denise
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

There is a subscription available, you can check with customer service on***@******.*** if you signed up for it.

But test your computer now and tell me how it now runs please

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Richard - I have run the computer this morning and it appears to be running ok - however I tried to do a back up - as this is one of the main functions I can no longer perform - and I cannot do it. I go to the Control Panel and select the option to backup. It tells me on the screen the "Windows Backup has not been set up" and gives me an option to "Set up backup". I plug in my E drive (external backup drive) and it goes through the motions, recognises the E drive and then as I click on through the process and attempt to do the backup I get a task screen appear the say "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. (0x80041321)" I'm not sure if this means that the E drive is corrupt? Or the function on the computer to back up? I've used the E drive twice. Once to back up when I was operating Windows 7 (before downloading Windows 10) and once to back up when Windows 10 was on my computer before I went back to Windows 7. Hopefully you can make some sense of all this - thank you - Denise
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Richard - I just deleted all file folders from the last (Windows 10) back up off the E drive. I don't need these files as I have no intention of installing Windows 10 again on this computer. The E drive is now clean except for its own set up files etc. I have tried to run another back up - encountering the same problem as before - Denise
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Richard - I have had no response from you regarding my question - and now I am hearing that JustAnswer is a scam - I do hope this is not the case???????
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Hi Denise...

I would of hoped that after a full day of support and getting a lot of problems solved, you would think a little better then me being a scam because I was not on yesterday... In all honesty I was pretty dissapointed to hear this from you about me...

Anyway, you're free of course to think about me anyway you wish..

For your problem

Click on Start; in the start search type regedit.exe and press Enter.

If you get a consent prompt, click on Yes.

Browse through the following location.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Schedule key and then delete its subkeys.

Save the changes and then exit out of the registry editor.

Then try to backup and tell me if you get the error.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK Richard - firstly I apologise if I jumped to conclusions but I have been taken for a ride before and it cost me a considerable amount of money. I am also a pensioner and cannot afford to make a mistake like that again - plus the internet is rife with reported scams about JustAnswer.....obviously this does no mean that you are involved and maybe I should have had more faith. I am grateful for your support. Now when I type in regedit.exe - it brings up a regedit folder but no option to enter. When I open this I get files with HKLM\KEY names - no HKLM\SOFTWARE - am I doing this incorrectly? - Denise
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Always be wary of what you see and believe on the internet Denise, I can find a bad and good story about everything

If you want to know truths you use this site.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/justanswer.co.uk

And yes, some people have a bad experience and lots have a good one, its also dependent on the person, but you see overall we score very high and being on the internet for over 12 years, we wouldn't be here still if we didn't.

Your in the right area, HKLM is HK Local Machine, go there and you will then see software

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've found it - I am currently in the Current version folderof Windows NT - when you say delete the sub keys - does that mean all the things in that folder - sorry I'm a bit confused because I can't see "Sub keys" just a lot of other stuff!
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

yes thats correct, all things in that folder under Schedule key

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is scary! They are all gone except for one named default REG_SZ - I am getting task bar to say "unable to delete all specified values"
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

ok.. as long as your following the instructions I gave you then there is nothing to be scared about...

Now restart the computer and try to make a backup

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok ..... here I go..
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It didn't work I'm afraid - I went to the Control Panel and select the option to backup. It tells me on the screen the "Windows Backup has not been set up" and gives me an option to "Set up backup". I plug in my E drive (external backup drive) and it goes through the motions, recognises the E drive and then as I click on through the process and attempt to do the backup I get a task screen appear to say "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. (0x80041321)"
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

ok, download this tool please

https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/

Right click the file and select run as administrator

Run it, restart the computer and tell me if you can now backup please

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry I'm a bit lost. I have download as requested and I have two files RepairTasks and RepairTasks.exe - if I right click on those I don't get the option to run as administrator. When I downloaded it just ask me to Open or Save - not Run
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

you first need to save it, save it then right click on RepairTasks.exe

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's saved. Right clicking on RepairTasks.exe doesn't give me an option to run it. Only Open, Cut, Copy, Delete, Properties. If I open it gives me a huge list of programs to choose by which to open it Adobe, Notepad etc etc.....
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

ok, its a zip file, right click it and select extract to, then extract it and you can right click the exe file

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm so sorry Richard - this must be very frustrating for you......it doesn't have an option to extract when I right click
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

select open then and double click the exe file

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok - back a step. I realised my mistake. I went back to the zip file and found the option to extract - did that. Right clicking still doesn't give me an option to run. When I "open" it wants me to choose a program to open it in. I have no idea which one to choose.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

You need to run the one called repair taks

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Done that. Now I have a screen asking me if I want to Scan, Back up tasks or Save results and two buttons to choose - Recycle existing tasks - or - Take tasks from back up
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Click Scan, then Repair when done

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Scan went ok. Repair not so much - I have two messages - one which says 46 repairs succeeded , 6 failed and then a black box saying Application install - Sorry an error has occurred - Application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged.....it has a logo on it which looks like the Adobe logo
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Can you restart the computer and run it again please

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Houston - I think we have lift off! I've just tried to back up and for the first time since the Windows 10 debacle it has gone to the correct screen and asked me to Back up or Restore - no set up needed, no nasty messages and it started the back up beautifully. Thank you Richard - for persevering with my issues even when I insulted you :) I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.....
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Your most welcome! and good to hear Denise!

Just remember to always give someone who spends considerable time with you, the benefit of the doubt over some strangers claims that they are wrong and deceitful ect..

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I will remember your advice and take head. Thank you again Richard. Kind regards Denise