Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have just bought a ne i mac and migrated my stuff across

hello i have just bought a ne i mac and migrated my stuff across from old mc to new mac Sadly i have three accounts with hot mail and its asking me the pass word for each I have had the old mac for some years and so do not have the pass words stored or in my memory how do i go about getting them unlocked and set a ne pass word
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi Stephen,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi have tried and tried to recover this via the page on outlook but each time it only changes the pass word for the outlook page and not for the three emails concerned this is becoming more urgent as one of the emails is my main email connected to so many things including my house alarmthankssteve0208(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thanks..

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

On your old Mac, you can use Keychain Access to search for and retrieve any saved password.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Open the Keychain Access app (located in /Applications/Utilities). This is the built-in password ***** for Mac OS X.

When you save passwords in applications like Mail and Safari, this is where you can access them.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Under the Keychains section on the left-hand side of the app, select login. You should now see a list of websites and applications that use Keychain Access to store login information. Scroll down through this list until you get to the login item that you’ve forgotten. When you find it, double-click it.

This will pop open a new dialog window containing specific information about your user account. From this screen, click the check box labeled “Show password.”

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

You will be prompted to enter your Mac OS X user credentials to authenticate. Once entered, click the Allow button to continue.

Your password ***** then be visible in the login item detail pop up window.

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
Otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok pete thanks very much for your kind advice i will try this option this afternoon as i have to shower ready to go out this morning As you can imagine i had a very frustrating day yesterday and in the end just gave up not being a tech wizthanks again and i will certainly rate yousteve
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok Steve, and if you have problems, or need any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know :)

Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
actually i do as i have just remembered i wiped it clean and reinstalled el capitan so it wont have any stored info what a buggeri have to shoot out right now but if you have any further advice please let me know i was wondering if there is away of deleting them and re making them Just a thought off the top of my headthanks steveill be back around 2 00pm this afternoon
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, in that case you will need to try entering each individual hotmail account on the following recovery form:

https://account.live.com/ACSR

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Pete i have just tried this way again and its one i have used before in the last few days but it doesn't work when i use it on my mac just tried and asked to put in the password ***** i put in the new password ***** wasn't recognised !! Help would it be easier if you went into myI mac as its new there is nothing to sensitive on itsteve
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi Steve,

When you say it doesn't work, do you get an error message, or does the recovery process complete ok?

How far do you get with the recovery process?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i get all the way and it says log in which i do but this doesn't transfer to when i open my mail box on my mac and try using the new pass word on the new i mac indeed i have just tried to send a message to microsoft using the only email i have that is working on my mac that being***@******.*** but even that comes up asking me for a pass word for one of my accounts***@******.*** so i am wondering if something quite serious has happened in tech migration from my old mac as the accounts now seem muddled
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my there accounts are as follows
***@******.*** (main account ) one i use with my alarm so its very important its fixedThe other two are
***@******.***andredmate2hotmail.co.ukall of these are asking for a password ***** i don't have even after going through them on microsoft and changing the pass word my mail on my I mac doesn't recognise the changes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, you may need to reconfigure the settings for those mailboxes on the Mac and I can help you with that later, however first does the password ***** ok if you try accessing the accounts at mail.live.com?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
AS I SAY WITH MICROSOFT MAIL IT WORKS FINE JUST WHEN I TRY USING THE SAME ON MY MAC IT DOESNT RECOGNISE THE NEW PASS WORD Yes its all ok when i have reset them they work on mail.live.com //but not on my i mac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry i retyped so as not to shout then forgot to delete
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, then you need to reconfigure the settings on the Mac - to do this, delete the accounts from Mac Mail and add them again.

Let me know if that works?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi pete thanks for that i was away yesterday for the day However i have tried to delete the accounts and set up again but it takes us full circle back to the original problem its asking for my pass word ! which of course i do not have Also this morning a few minutes ago i can't get my apple id recognised it may be just the system playing up so will check later ....
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok let me know how you get on later...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi pete all ok i have just been to the apple shop and been given instructions so all is now sorted thanks for your help I will leave favourable feedbacksteve
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, great news!

Have a great day :)
Pete.

Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.