IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I was victim of a scam, I have been blocked from my computer

I was victim of a scam, I have been blocked from my computer a startup password ***** appears. I can't get passed it
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

I am sorry about the issue you are experiencing. Please tel lme if you were recently contacted by a person with foreign accent who claimed to be a computer technician working for either Microsoft or other respectable company, telling you he/she needs to check your computer because it contained errors or viruses?

If so, did you agree to do it over a remote assistance where that person did some changes to your computer, including setting the startup password?

Let me know,

IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
an Asian man contacted saying he was from my internet provider. Changes were made to my computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm you recieved my reply, thank you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I received your reply.

Please tell me which Windows version is installed on your computer.

It could be:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 / 8.1
- Windows 10

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a feeling it's Windows 7, I'm not 100% It's a work laptop. Not sure how to find out?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Windows 7 just seen on sticker
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming!

There are two ways of solving the startup password *****:

1. guessing the password

2. restoring the Windows files from a backup

Since those scammers usually use a simple password, you should be able to guess it. I have a list of known passwords they use. To shorten the list a bit, please tell me if you were able to see how many characters the scammer typed when setting the password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest I don't know as I was not aware when he was resetting password, sorry! I'm happy to try any possibilities you have
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Usually, they use just a 3-character password, but here is a list of most common passwords:

123

1234

456

1

111

132

321

4321

ari123

12345

123450

123456

(###) ###-####/p>

12345678

###-##-####/p>

123654

###-##-####/p>

n123

N123

w123

W123

q

a12

qwerty

qwertz

google

google123

You can try them all, but note that Windows will restart after 3 failed attempts, so it may take some time to test them all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will try them and get back to you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Take your time and let me know if one of those password *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow I tried(###) ###-####its worked!!! Your brill. I now have the team viewer box up that they downloaded to scan my bank statement. Shall I just close it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's on my desktop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I am very glad 1234567 worked!

You can now uninstall all programs the scammer installed. To do that, click on the Windows Start button and then click on Control Panel. There click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features). It will open a list containing all installed programs on your computer. Click on the "Installed On" column to sort the programs by their install date. Locate all newly installed programs. To uninstall a program, right-click it and select Uninstall. Follow the instructions to complete the uninstall.

Also, you can now remove the Startup password ***** To do that, click on the Windows Start button and type syskey in the search box, and press Enter. When the window opens, click on "Update". Select "System Generated Password" and then click on "Store Startup Key Locally" and click OK. Once again type 1234567

The startup password ***** then be removed!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed team viewer. When I type syskey and return a box appears user account control- it asks if I want SAM Lock Tool to make changes to this computer. Do I click OK?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Yes, click OK and then click on "Update". Select "System Generated Password" and then click on "Store Startup Key Locally" and click OK. Type 1234567 and press Enter, and it will remove the startup password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the start up box comes up it asks for password ***** be entered during system start. Is that where I put in(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's ok no need to answer I had not hit right key
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

In case you are asked to type the startup password, type(###) ###-#### Let me know if you could follow the instructions to disable the startup password ***** (using the Store Startup Key Locally option).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's now saying that password ***** ***** correct?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

When you typed syskey in the search box and pressed Enter, did this window open?

PICTURE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Sam lock box came up and then Securing the Windows account database box with encryption enabled /disabled box which I haven't touched , so at the moment I have that box up and the startup key box. Do I ok encryption enabled?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Once you see that window, the "Encryption Enabled" option should be selected. Don't click OK, but click Update instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have hit update in the encryption box so I now have password ***** up box. If I click on store start up key locally it asks for current password ***** won't accept(###) ###-####
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

That's strange. Please restart your computer and then check if the startup password ***** ***** If not, check if it will still accept(###) ###-####as the password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Password ***** up not accepting(###) ###-#### I'll go through passwords again
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fault!! Password ***** 123456 I've gone through process again and it has accepted that. It now says the account database start up key was changed. Is that it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yippee!!!!! The box has gone!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Great! You can restart the computer to verify that the startup password ***** is gone.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Before you leave, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do. I've turned it off and on and the box has gone. Can't thank you enough. I'm a teacher and my pic is linked to school server so I couldn't do any work. Eternally grateful . Excellent service. Thank you. Linda