Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Thank you for your help. I feel a bit of a fool. I'll be

Thank you for your help. I feel a bit of a fool. I'll be seeing by bank as soon as it opens tomorrow, or certainly at some point during the morning. The boy seemed very desperate and it's just as well that I couldn't send the money-gram from the local post office. Thank goodness in someways I got his name. It did seem rather fishy when he said something about a Microsoft certificate and I should have stopped it there. It was certainly an official looking site. Thank goodness I kept details and typed it up. If I do not want to carry on after the 7 day free trial how do I cancel and do I get a refund?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, please don't feel like a fool. I have helped literally hundreds of people who have fallen victim to this scam and I am sure many thousands have as well. They mainly target the US, UK, and Australia it seems.

Here are instructions on cancelling the trial: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-cancel-my-subscription-hl

If you have any trouble contact customer support here http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or let me know and I will have them get in touch with you.

Best,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for that. It's good to know that folk are around to help. I should have asked about the online banking thing. How will I know that he won't hold on to the details? Or is that a question I should be asking the bank? I just do not believe in that thing at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for that. It's good to know that there are helpful folk around. I should have asked about the online banking thing. How will I know that he won't go back into my account, or is that a question for the bank? I just do not believe in that sort of thing.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

I am always here for you. If you have follow up questions about this situation even 2 weeks from now feel free to send me a message on this page. Just remember if this person calls you back to hang up straight away, do not discuss anything with them. They are really horrible people. I just helped someone a couple days ago who had one of these calls and the scammer completely locked them out of their computer by changing the password ***** they refused to pay. It's tragic but I believe because they are in India no one can stop them.

As far as your bank goes I would ask them about that and see what they can do to prevent this as I am not really sure what they can do to secure the account but I am sure they have a way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I quite agree with you about these people being horrible. They really are cruel. Thank goodness I keep a check on bank statements every week and all my other savings monthly! My latge husband trained me well, it seems!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I quite agree with you about these people being horrible. They really are cruel. Thank goodness I keep a check on bank statements every week and all my other savings monthly! My late husband trained me well, it seems!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that. Thank goodness I keep an eye on bank details weekly and the rest of my savings monthly. My late husband trained me well!
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear you lost your husband, but you are doing great, keep an eye on the bank and speak with them. I am sure they are familiar with this scam as many have been victim of it. It really has been going on for years now. Aside from just calling people they now put up fake web pages that say you have virus and get you to call them so if you ever see one of those do not call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I went into the bank this morning and the Fraud Dept. was already on to the case. The rest of the money is to be refunded today, a new card and pin number for that account is to be coming through soon and I'm to be removed from telephone and online banking services. I've been advised to get my computer professionally cleaned and viruses removed. "Steve" was nothing if not persistent this morning. 13 phone calls in less than 2 hours and a message left to speak to him as it was urgent! Tough - I didn't answer. His loss and I'm not sorry.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

That is great news. Very happy to hear you will be able to get the money refunded. "Steve" will eventually stop calling. If you would like a professional cleaning of the computer I can provide that service for you through remote support. As it is a premium service there will be an additional charge so let me know if you are interested and I will send through an offer.

Thanks,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for you offer of help re the professional clean for the computer. That is already organised for tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your sympathy about my husband. I've got used to it now, but there are still moments when it catches me unawares. However, on a better note, I was having my chemo session at the hospital yesterday afternoon and my mobile kept ringing. Needless to say I didn't answer it. One of the nurses (what a super lot they are and I've got to know them well since January last year) knew about it and said that if he phoned back she would answer it. She did! I could only hear part of the conversation, but it was fairly lively. He obviously had asked where I was and was told I was unavailable. She was asked who she was and was told that she would not tell him. He was also told that it was not his business to know where I was. He was also informed that the police had been informed and that he was to stop hassling me. There have been no further calls from this abominable man. When I phoned 101 this morning, the call centre lady was sympathetic, but said that they could do nothing as it was all from abroad. At least I had a good night's sleep last night knowing that things have been settled, but it was partly due to the hospital visit yesterday afternoon as well. Again, thank you very much for your help and support.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. If you ever need me again please let me know.

Best,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Computer has been seen to this afternoon and it's OK. New bank card came today as well. Huge relief. I won't do that again in a hurry!!!
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

That is great news, thank you for letting me know. Hope you have a great day.

-Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Thank you for all your help. Computer was professionally cleaned and cleared of any remaining bits of virus yesterday afternoon. "Steve" did try my mobile again a couple of times on Tuesday and I can't be sure of an international call yesterday on my landline as I was out. Anyway, I'm pretty sure he knows he's been rumbled! I've learned a lesson the hard way but at least I've come out of the on the right side with help from you and the RBS.
I know £26 was taken off my bank account on Monday as payment to you which is fine by me.. What is puzzling me is that a renewal date is showing for the 13th/14th August with a payment of £35 showing on a monthly basis. I'm on the point of cancelling the membership as it's a 7 day free trial. Could you sort my stupid brain out about this, please? My brain seems to be in scrambled egg mode! Thank you. I've got your link if I do cancel.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

You may have signed up for a subscription based plan on this website, you may cancel this at anytime. If you have trouble canceling let me know and I will put you in touch with customer service to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon.
Thank you for your help about the plan.. I'll do something about it now. It's been a heavy going week.Our dear "Steve" doesn't give up easily. There were two phone calls to my mobile on Tuesday morning, possibly one to my landline on Wednesday and one to my landline yesterday. Needless to say they were ignore. Perhaps he might just have got the message that's he's not welcome.I mentioned the situation when I was in at my voluntary job at the local Citizen's Advice Bureau on Wednesday. It's going to be going on the case recording system as an anonymous case. Thank good ness I kept a note of everything!Again, very many thanks for all your help and back up with things. I shall certainly recommend your service to other people.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!

I am sure "Steve" will eventually stop but sometimes these scammers can be very persistent. You are doing the right thing by ignoring the calls. They will eventually stop.