IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I bought Office Home & Student 2016 for Mac a couple of

Hi, I bought Office Home & Student 2016 for Mac a couple of weeks ago and everything except Outlook works fine. When I came to install Outlook the window kept telling me to enter my Microsoft account but it won't recognise my licence. Hoe can I get help to make this work? Every time I try I have to change my password ***** now I'm getting very very confused.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Did you have a Microsoft account, e.g. for hotmail email service, before this?

If so (or if not), what are the exact words in which it asks for your 'Microsoft account' (which could mean one of several different types of accounts.)

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell, I used to have a Microsoft computer some years ago but I have been on an iMac computer for a few years now. I may have had an old Microsoft account but I don't remember. I think I set up a new account when I bought this new software.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the password (and username of course) for the new Microsoft account?

Does that work, with the activation code or registration code for the MS Student Edition software ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hehe, well, yes, I think so! The number of times I have been signing in has confused me and i've changed passwords a lot of times in the last couple of days. It did work when I uploaded it...the code was timed though, I believe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trouble may have started when I tried to open a hotmail email account. I have got that working on the Outlook app on my iPhone but I wonder if that account is getting confused with the one for Office.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If you have two Hotmail accounts, that could confuse matters.

But your Microsoft or Hotmail account is not linked with the MS Office/Student/etc. software, until you have so linked it.

Have you two? Have you, yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't been able to because when I try I'm told to go to the Microsoft account which then tells me I don't have a licence.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I will need you to try to enter your MS Office/Student/etc.'s code again, please.

And to copy down and tell me, exactly what error message you get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will that be the code on the Product Key?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Don't enter anything, until prompted to.

Then, before being prompted to, tell me what the prompt looks like, and what the words near it are, and I will tell you what to enter, more or less. I think that's the way to go with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the Product Key and it all went smoothly. It acknowledge the purchase and told me to sign into my microsoft account then brought up the window for my hotmail account. It then told me to sign into the jaccount which I used to upload Office. I did this to the correct username and used the password ***** I had last reset it to but it still wouldn't recognise the password ***** said I should reset it. This is just the latest rotation of the same circle.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

told me to sign into the jaccount which I used to upload Office. I did this to the correct username and used the password ***** I had last reset it to

correct username and password ***** what?

What 'account used to upload Office' was that account? with your Windows computer? or with Hotmail? or what?

This has to be made clear. Somehow, one of these steps is wrong, and that one looks like the one that is wrong, to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the window to put in username and password, my iMac, gave me two options from its memory. One was for the Hotmail account and the second one was for the 'Microsoft' account. When I tried the Hotmail account it didn't reconise the purchase so I tried the 'Microsoft' account. I used the correct username for that account (I have made a copy of it) and I used the password ***** last renewed. It continued not to recognise me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall I try it again with the Product Key? I had already gone through the process before i got your previous answer!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

You're not being clear to me, I'm sorry to say, as to what you were doing.

"The window to put in username and password" - what window, please?

A browser window, a web page?

Or a program window from the installing of the MS Office/Student/etc.

--------------------------------------

Gave you two options from its memory.... how were those options labeled?

Please don't interpret anything... I'm the Expert here. Just tell me what you see at certain points, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Let's get your Office
1
Sign in with your Microsoft accountYou'll use your Microsoft Account for everything you do with Office. If you use a Microsoft service like Outlook.com, OneDrive, Xbox Live, or Skype, you already have an account. Sign in Create a new account Already entered a product key and looking for your software? Install from Office.com/MyAccount
2
Enter your product key
3
Get your OfficeThis was the first message when I'd entered the Product Key. I was then directed to a sign in window which my computer automatically filled in with my Hotmail account. My computer (iMac) gave the the option of two accounts usernames (in a pop up window) one was the Hotmail account and the other was the Microsoft account. The Hotmail account username and password ***** but it was the wrong one for my Office purchase. The Microsoft entry window continually rejects my passwords.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, I'm trying again. I went to office.com/my account. It opened with my Hotmail account window (username and password). I clicked on that and got this:My Office AccountOffice Products
This is the right place to install and re-install Office 2016, Office 2013 and Office 365, or manage your Office 365 subscription, but you signed in with an account not associated with any Office products. We can help.
Already purchased Office?
If you already have Office, please sign in with the same Microsoft account used to buy or activate Office. Sign in with your other Microsoft account
If you can’t remember the Microsoft account that you used, support might be able to help. Ask support (it’s free)
Have an Office product key? Enter your product key
Don’t have Office yet?
If you don’t have Office, you can try or buy it in the Office store. Buy nowThen I clicked on 2 the Product Key....and went to this:
Hi. Let's get your Office
1
Use your Microsoft account to get startedRichard Oakley***@******.***
Change account
Next Already entered a product key and looking for your software? Install from Office.com/MyAccount
2
Enter your product key
3
Get your OfficeHi. Let's get your Office
1
Signed in as xxxxx (*****@******.***) Change
2
Enter your product keyI entered the Product Key and it opened the next page:
My Office AccountOffice Products
This product key is valid, but it was redeemed with a different Microsoft account: i******@wolfiewolfgang.com
Sign in with your other Microsoft account
Already purchased Office?
Don’t have Office yet?
If you don’t have Office, you can try or buy it in the Office store. Buy now I then tried to open the Microsoft account as indicated in the last paragraph. That is when the password ***** always stops the process.
Where’s my product key?
Country or regionYour language
Next
3
Get your Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, where it said to you:

then, whatever the 'wolfiewolfgang.com' account was, thats the Microsoft account you need to sign in with, to complete this transaction about installing MS Office/Student/etc.

Are you able to sign into that account, as an email account, on an email account login page in a web browser?

If not, then you are not going to be able to do this whole process this way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I use Apple, my relationship with Microsoft was minimal until now. I am signed in with Skype - could that work? I don't actually have a registered email account with Microsoft except for the recently acquired Hotmail email (I did have one years ago but I've forgotten what it was called) - the wolfiewolfgang.com emails are through my domain and my others are BT or Google. If I can't do it this way, what are my options?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Skype wouldn't work. To repeat:

where it said to you:

then, whatever the 'wolfiewolfgang.com' account mentioned there was, that's the Microsoft account you need to sign in with, to complete this transaction about installing MS Office/Student/etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but to repeat, I can't sign into that account because it won't recognise my password ***** or the new ones whenever they get me to change them. This has been going on for several days now.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft licensing and installation permissions are very narrow and very strict. There isn't any way around them, much. They are backed by the shrewd, highly skilled, policies developed by a multi-billion-dollar corporations persistent studies about forbidding unauthorized software installing and use.

Since I don't know of other ways to get this done, I will have Opted Out soon. Unless you have that wolfiewolfgang.com address's login information...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be a fault? Or have they done some security inspired block? I can' appreciate you having to opt out of this but does that mean that it's an 'impossible situation" ? Is there anyway I can communicate directly with someone from within that monstrous organisation?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft wants to sell stuff.

And limit its usage to perfectly indubitably legitimate purchasers.

You purchased though 'wolfiewolfgang.com' account. So to MS., you have to prove you are the purchaser by signing in with that account at one point.

That's pretty final.

In case some extreme hacker type here has a way through that or around it, that doesn't involve your entering the account signin password ***** purchased it, I have Opted Out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My thanks to Russell H for his help - I believe someone new is going to try and help me get back to my Microsoft account. I look forward to hearing from you....thanks guys!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you; however, the best approach would be to establish a secure remote assistance so that I can see the problem myself and help you directly. I will then be able to see which account you need to sign into exactly.

Let me if you agree to a secure remote assistance.

Thanks,
IT Miro

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Miro, yes, definitely, I'm happy for you to use remote assistance. Just let me know what I need to do at this end.Thanks,
Colin
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I will be ready in about 15 minutes. I will send you the instructions on how to connect with me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK....I'll be waiting.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for waiting. I am ready now.

In order for me to securely connect to your computer, you first need to download a remote assistance program and start it.

We can use a program named TeamViewer. Here are the instructions on how to download it.

1. Go to the address below or just click on the link:

http://connect.teamviewer.com/v11

2. TeamViewer file will automatically start downloading. Once done, locate the downloaded file and double-click it in order to start it. The file is named TeamViewerQS

3. When started, you will see the blue TeamViewer window that contains numbers - ID and Password. Type those numbers here to me so that I can securely connect to your computer. We will then be able to chat as well.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ID 637 577 313PW 5982
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the codes OK?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The ID is correct, but the password ***** ***** Please check the password ***** re-type it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5982
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Connected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Grreat
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Remote assistance log:

I have confirmed the Microsoft account is accessible, but the problem with Outlook not working was because the "Home and Student" edition of Microsoft Office does not include a license for Outlook. I suggested getting a refund for that purchase and getting the "Home and Business" edition instead.

For more information about the Microsoft Office editions, see this link:

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Compare-Office-suites/categoryID.68155000

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Miro - it was a pleasure working with you.Regards,
Colin
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome!

Regards,

IT Miro