IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I've just logged into my hotmail account after a few months

Customer Question

I've just logged into my hotmail account after a few months and everything is gone
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Please tell me how many months have passed since you last time accessed your Hotmail account (if you remember)? Also, did you see any error message upon logging in, or no error messages?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's ok I believe this happened as I didn't log in for a few months
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

I wanted to confirm when you last time accessed your Hotmail account since all free Hotmail e-mail accounts automatically expire if they are not accessed for more than 9 months. Once the account is expired, all the e-mails and contacts saved in the account are automatically deleted. Free Hotmail e-mail accounts need to be signed into at least once every 9 months to prevent the automatic expiration. See more about free e-mail account expiration on this link:

https://www.marketingcloud.com/blog/why-and-when-do-email-accounts-expire/

Also, once an account expires, it doesn't accept new incoming e-mails. Any e-mail sent to it will automatically be rejected and a sender will be notified that the account cannot receive e-mails. In case you attempt to log in after the account has expired, you will get a notice to reactivate the account. Once you have reactivated the account, you can continue to use it and new incoming e-mails will be accepted, and youc an also send e-mails; however, old e-mails and contacts cannot be retrieved. They are permanently gone.

I am sorry to report the bad news! If you were expecting an important e-mail, you can inform the sender that your account could not receive new e-mails before, but now it can, so they can resend the e-mail to you.

For future use, make sure to always log in to your Hotmail account at least once every 9 months. You can also signup for a paid version of Hotmail called Ad-free Outlook.com which will protect your account from automatic expiration after 9 months. All the ads will be gone and you will be also entitled for a free phone support in case you encounter a problem with your account. See more about Ad-free Outlook.com here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Ad-free-Outlook-com-b949a6d1-aeb4-4a9f-9766-a5038ea812fe

Again, I am very sorry you lost old e-mails and contacts! Hopefully, you will now know how to keep your new e-mails secure and accessible.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello again!

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.