technicalcat
technicalcat, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  20yrs experience with advanced degrees
65369237

Cannot get into Outlook. Tells me the password is wrong and

Customer Question

Cannot get into Outlook. Tells me the password ***** ***** and I've tried many, checked in keychain as well.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  technicalcat replied 7 months ago.

Hello Lulu, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Is this an email account on an exchange server? If not, please tell me who your email provider is. This is the part of your email address AFTER the @ sign. Please tell me what that is. Thanks.

technicalcat, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: 20yrs experience with advanced degrees
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a google email, I'm with Vodafone for this laptop and my iPhone. Afraid I don't know what an exchange server isAlso my email is incredibly slow and I cannot find out why
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I meant my internet, not just my email connection
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you need me to do anything?
I'm just sitting here waiting. Is anyone going to give me the help? All I've heard are emails on my iPhone saying my payment has gone through.

Sorry for the delay. I will be connecting to your computer within the next 10 minutes. Please be patient as it takes a few minutes to set things up. You will receive a reponse from me here shortly. Thank You.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've been sitting here for half an hour and have to go. Can we do this tomorrow morning or later tonight? Please get back to me quickly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I really really have to go but having paid for a service I need to know what's happening. It's not about being patient. I have an appointment and had no idea this would take so long, Please let me know if we can set this up for another time

Sure. I will be online from around 11am until around 5pm tomorrow. We can work on your issue then if you would like. Keep in mind that password ***** such as what you are having generally DO take time, so I have to ask for patience. It's just the nature of the problem and solution. There are many common causes, and it takes time to narrow down the problem in many cases.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Fine - as long as I know I can accept that it takes time. I just had no idea what was going on. What do I do? Just log in here tomorrow with my order number?

Yes, if you need to leave now, then please message me tomorrow when you are online. If I am not online, I will respond to you as soon as I am online.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hallo - you said I should message you when I am online again as the problem still has to be resolved. I am here now if this is convenient.
Lulu Appleton
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have received my message saying am online and ready to have my problem resolved. The time is 13.13pm.Thank youLulu Appleton

Hello again Lulu. Thanks for the reply. I can connect with you in about 10-15 minutes. Please await my next reply with instructions on how to enable remote. I will send this within the next 10-15 minutes.

Lulu,

Are you on a MAC or a PC running Windows? Just needed to confirm for proper remote instructions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not at home and won't be for another hour. It's now 16.53pm

That's fine. Like I said, I'll be online until about 5pm EST. It's about noon right now. Please let me know if you are on a Mac or PC, so I can send proper instructions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not getting your email messages until long after you send them. I don't know why. I was here at 5pm and would have responded.
I work on an Apple Airbook
OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.6Unless our messages coincide I can't see how this will work.

Hello, and sorry for the confusion.

I am in the United States on Eastern Standard Time. I am available now, and it is about 4:45pm. I will be leaving in about 1/2 hour. Will be back again tomorrow from about 11am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It would have been helpful if you had told me you were in the US and working on different time. Why don't you call me or email tomorrow, Sunday, at 11.30am your time. This means it will be 4.30pm UK time and I will be here.

Sorry about the confusion. I actually did write EST in the previous reply.

In any case, I am online now and will be for the next hour or so. Also still planning on being online tomorrow around 11am. I will message you then if I don't hear from you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm back on line. It's nearly 5pm uk time. Lulu Appleton

Hello Lulu,

Thanks for the message. I have to step away from my desk for about 15 minutes or so, but will be back. I will message you then with instructions for remote.

Lulu,

Before I connect remotely with you, I would like for you to try and confirm the following.

Open up a browser (such as SAFARI), and go to

http://mail.google.com

From here , login to your email account. I need you to login to the same email account for which you are having trouble with outlook. Make sure you actually type in the email and the password (don't use a saved password). Verify you can see your inbox and login. This way, when I connect to you, we will know we have the correct login information. Let me know if you are able to do this, and I will then follow up with remote instruction.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I go to email via Safari, I am already logged in and cannot type in a new email address or password. I can see my inbox so imagine the settings are correct
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been using Apple Mail mostly.

Lulu,

You'll need to logout of your account , and then log back in. For google mail, if you look in the upper right hand corner , you will see your google account icon. It's probably circular in shape, and may contain a picture or a letter. Click on it, then click SIGN OUT on the menu that follows. From there, log back in, typing your email address and password. Thank You.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry. Need to take a break for half an hour and will be back. I'lll try again. The only thing I could find was in preferences for Mail which had a button with which I could disenable the account. Is that wrong?

Lulu,

You need to do this in SAFARI. It is just two clicks. First on your picture in the upper right hand corner, and then the SIGN OUT button. Here is an image to show you exactly where you need to click. Click on the link below to see.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/cUl1Z9AB-7uUSJ6lArMuUeSh5RV5wRpCjpo_Tb69taKhaFSvzW2In38e3-LvypRaJSF19LqG=w390

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've tried everywhere but cannot see where to log out. I've been to Mail application and the preferences, I've tried Google mail via the server,

Lulu,

It's important that you verify your password ***** the webmail interface before we connect. I can try to do it for you with remote, but it is more difficult that way.

Based on your response, I suspect you are not using SAFARI and going to http://mail.google.com and actually logging in to the google web mail. The interface is exactly the same for everyone, and all you have to do is click on your round picture icon in the upper right hand corner when you are viewing your inbox.

You do not and should not be going into any settings , or using any other program such as apple mail or outlook. We need to stick strictly with google mail through the web browser. If you can, you could probably do this easier from another computer or device. That way your account will not be saved, and you won't have to logout. On a windows PC , you can use internet explorer. On another MAC, you can use safari.

Hopefully, you'll be able to do this soon and verify your login. In verifying the login, you may be able to solve the problem, as the password ***** not be what you have it set to in outlook, or what you think it is. The only way to know for sure is to simply login with the webmail and check.

I will be available much later this evening and early tomorrow morning EST (around 11pm to 1am). I probably will not be online much tomorrow, but will be online on Tuesday. Thank You.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for all that. I changed my google mail password ***** have actually signed out and signed in again using that new password ***** it worked.
There seems to be a confusion in my accounts set up.
When I go to google mail on the server, I have two different emails.
One is google mail and the other is called gmail and has an icon https://mail.google.com/mail/?ibxr=0
Gmail has a symbol which I cannot copy and paste to this message. Its a capital M in white with a black background.
I'm around today so I'll wait until you log on and let me know the next step.

Good to hear you have your logins sorted out now. As previously stated, that's usually the cause of most email problems. I am available now for a bit, and will be available this evening , EST, if you'd like me to remotely connect to help sort out your outlook. Just let me know when or when you'll be online. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am online now - 6.40pm UK time. I tried to open Outlook having changed the password. Now I seem to have gmail and gmail 1. Nothing would open, and neither of the gmails accepted the password.
It almost feels like I should scrap it and just start all over. What do you think?

You will likely need to just change the account details in account to include the proper login (email address and password). If you aren't able to do this, I will be able to connect with you later this evening. I will message you again when I'm online. Thanks.

correction: account details in outlook

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm here. Let's do it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Outlook won't me in no matter which password ***** try. That was always the problem. Can leave this with you please and connect tomorrow. I've been working all day and its 10pm here and I won't make much sense of anything. Can we sort his tomorrow please?

I should be online after 11am tomorrow until about 5pm EST. Will try to remember to message you when I'm on. If you don't hear from me, then just send a reply here, and if I'm online I will receive it. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'M ON LINE NOW.

OK. I will send you instructions and remotely connect in about 15 minutes. Please wait for a reply from me here. Thanks.

Please click on the link below, then agree, and then proceed to download and run the remote client. It's called elsinore. If you get an error about unverified, then follow these instructions to run:

1. Press the Control key, then click the remote app (elsinore) icon.
  2. Choose Open from the shortcut menu.
  3. Click Open.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=3791b31c-815f-474d-b158-cd52dfca24e7&Type=Java

NOTE: Once you have the remote client running, please be patient as I will connect to you in about 1 to 5 minutes. Also, things may seem slow on the remote connection, and that is normal due to internet lag.

Marie,

Sorry about the lag , as I have no control over that. In any case, I saw enough to be able to say your outlook seems like it's functioning properly, but as I previous suspected, you simply have the wrong login information. That login box will ordinarily accept the password ***** login after it is accepted by the email server. The fact it isn't , indicates you still be putting in the incorrect password.

Do you have old email messages specifically in outlook that you need and do not have backed up? If not, I'd recommend for simplicity to REMOVE all of the old accounts in outlook, and then add in the new accounts and test one by one. Here is a link to show you how to do that.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/outlook-mac-2011-delete-email-account/

If you are able and willing to clear out the old accounts, you can now just add in the accounts again. Following is a video clip describing how to do this, and you may have information you previously used to do this. Keep in mind that if you server and other settings are correct, and they do already appear to be, you likely will not get the login prompt if you are putting in the correct login (email address) and password ***** the particular account you are setting up. Be sure to TEST each account before adding another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4afm2fN6V5w

Correction: Lulu :) Sorry, I was typing to another customer, but the rest of the previous message is for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would it be possible for you to do that for me? I have nothing in Outlook that needs to be kept. The whole lot can go.
I'm not particularly technical and what will take me hours might take you five minutes. That would be a great help if you could.

Right, that's what I just tried to do, but it seems your connection is so slow that I am unable to move or do anything on your computer (lag). In any case, I think you can follow the links I sent to finish it up quite easily, or really you may not even have to do that.

Are you sure you are putting in the correct password? I read your previous response again, I'm nearly certain you are not putting in the correct login information. That's something I can't really help you with any better over remote. You need to go to

http://mail.google.com

If you are already logged in to an account there, then just logout by click on your photo or circle icon in the upper right hand corner, and then logout.

If you are not logged in, or have logged out, then simply type in your gmail address and password ***** see if you can login. Don't use any saved passwords, and make sure you type both the email and the password. If you are able to login this way, then that same login information will work with your outlook when you get the login box prompt.

You simply have to verify your login information. If you are not able to login with what you think is the password ***** email, then you'll need to click on forgot password ***** proceed from there. It's not an outlook problem you appear to be having. It's a login/password *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. Node why internet is so slow, driving nuts here! Will try but it will be later. I will let you know you tomorrow if it's successful. Thanks for help so far.
Lulu

Sure, no problem, and don't worry about the remote unless you are having slowdowns there yourself. In that case contact your ISP. Like I said, I saw enough over the remote to be able to help you further, so we are fine on that. Just please verify your logins with the webmail and then try to enter them in the outlook boxes. It's really the only way you'll get outlook to login. This is especially true if outlook was working before, and then stopped. If outlook stops working and starts prompting for password, then 99% of the time, the login or password ***** changed on the account, and it now needs to be updated with outlook by typing it in the box.

Also, here is another video to show you exactly how to sign out , if needed, of your google webmail account. Remember, you will be using either safari or firefox to login or logout at http://mail.google.com. You will NOT be using apple mail, outlook , or any other program to verify your login. Your screen will look as described in this video.

So , to recap.

1)Open safari or firefox

2) Go to http://mail.google.com

3) Sign out if you are already signed in to mail (if you see your inbox)

4) Attempt to sign in at the login/password ***** to verify you have the right login and password ***** the account you are trying to access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd_CdymH6yw

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's now Saturday and I've tried everything you suggest but Outlook not happening. I think I will have to abandon the idea and stick with Mail. I can't give this any more time, I'm not technical, it's not my job and it's just too hard.
Incidentally, my bank statement shows I have been charged twice by JUST ANSWER. Do you deal with this or shall I go to your accounts department.
Thank you for all your help. I realise you know what you are doing and have tried very hard but it just hasn't worked for me in spite of all your best efforts.
Lulu

Lulu,

with all due respect, I don't think you are following the advice I am giving. I instructed you in many ways to confirm your password ***** logins with webmail, and then simply request for me to connect again to your computer and finish setting things up. To date, you haven't done that, or at least not that I'm aware. You indicated you called TWC, but mentioned something about IMAP settings which isn't what you need to solve your problem. Now, if you are currently able to login to your mail with webmail, and you know the passwords, I can still connect and fix outlook for you. So, let me know if you'd like to do this.

You were not charged twice. You have paid for your question, and for the additional services of me connecting to your computer, which I did once and have offered to do again. Those are two separate payments. If you request a refund, that hurts me in that all credit for helping you is taken away from me in the event of a refund.

Correction on above commentary. You indicated you have a gmail account, but were not able to logout, and log back in and confirm your login and password ***** gmail at :

http://mail.google.com

Sorry for the confusion. I had another customer with a nearly identical case to yours with login/password ***** except with a different mail provider. You just need to get your accounts and login information correct, and then outlook WILL work. I can make another attempt to connect to you if you have done this, and there won't be any additional charge for that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I get what you are saying but from my point of view, nothing has happened. I haven't been able to get Outlook even though I cancelled the existing one and started again - still would not work.
So it feels like I have paid twice for something that hasn't happened. I don't remember being notified of 'additional' charges. I might not have proceeded had I known that this would cost me so much.
So you say you lose out but so have I. What can be done? I don't want either of us to lose out on this but for some reason, I am nowhere and back to where I started.

Are you able to login to your email account with webmail at

http://mail.google.com

?

If you can do this and know your password, and can type it in and login, then I can use that information to make your outlook work. It's really very simple.

Let me know when you can do the above, and I can then connect and finish making your outlook work.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think the confusion is a matter of semantics. I logged into webmail via Safari on the link you sent me and it comes up with all kinds of different webmails.
As I said the other day, I have what looks like two gmails. Nothing called webmail. Here's two pdfs of the settings for both.
1. /Users/luluappleton/Desktop/Google Mail Settings -***@******.*** - Gmail.pdf
1./Users/luluappleton/Desktop/Inbox –***@******.***I went into keychain access and the passwords are unrecognisable. I have listed them just the same as I seem to recall keychain passwords can be different to the one the user puts in. Then I have listed underneath the passwords I have created.
/Users/luluappleton/Desktop/Passwords to JustAnswer August 22.pdfI've done this so you can see what the confusion is about and maybe we don't use 'webmail' in the UK and call it gmail.
Anyway, all very time consuming - for both of us.

No. It is not nearly this complicated.

In your original question, you stated outlook was asking you for a password. That's simply because the password ***** in outlook is incorrect. When you put in the correct password ***** will work.

Webmail is going to http://mail.google.com with your safari or other browser. It is the same across the world.

I didn't get the PDFs you sent, but they almost certainly do not contain your current and correct passwords. They appear to be informational PDFs containing setting for mail clients. If you put a list of passwords you got from a mail client or keychain, that is also meaningless, and that's why I've instructed you not to do this. This isn't something you need now. If the keychain had the right passwords, you wouldn't be having problems with outlook.

They also don't indicate you have more than one account. A google mail (gmail) account is an email address. If you send and receive messages from more than one email address to other people, then you have more than one account. If you only send and receive with***@******.*** , then that is just one account.

If you are able to login at http://mail.google.com by actually typing in an email address and password, then let me know, and we can make this work via remote. You mention seeing "different mails" when you login. If that's the case , please tell me in detail what you see from the moment after you login with your email address and password. Please remember, if you are already logged in when you go to mail.google.com, then you need to first logout and then log back in as previously instructed.

****Hopefully, when you reply you will have told you have successfully logged into your email account or accounts with http://mail.google.com and have written down the passwords and email address logins you actually typed in to do that. This is what's most important right now, and how to solve your problem. ****

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the time-lapse but as I was having smooch trouble getting Microsoft Office to work I have done the following: my husband's computer completely failed so I have a new MacBook Air and he is using my slightly older one. I bought Office 365 Home and now need to download it on to both computers - the option is to share with five altogether.Can you do this for me please as soon as possible? I have found it just doesn't work when I do it.
I bought the software from Microsoft and thought I had downloaded it successfully but today I am still without it.As you know I wasn't happy with the extra charge you placed on my account mainly because nothing had worked. You have to understand that every password ***** tried was rejected. What more could I do?Please get back to me as soon as possible as i need to resolve all this quickly. It's holding me up and stopping me from getting on with my work.If you can sort this today, I will forget about the extra charge.YoursLulu
Expert:  technicalcat replied 6 months ago.

Lulu,

I can help you with the new problem, but please open up a new question for that, instead of a reply to this old question. Put FORCustomeras the first two words of the new question, and then I will be able to answer it for you. Thank You.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After all this time, I have discovered what the problem is. I have spoken to Microsoft and Apple and it seems that downloading software is limited due to poor internet service. Tested, it runs at 1.26mph and should probably be thirty times more than that, hence the downloading stopping halfway.
This is not your problem of course, it's mine and I have to deal with BT about it who provide broadband.
I would like you to refund the second day's payment. I think that is fair to both of us. You have done some work and there was no conclusion and I have spent ages on the 'phone to find out for myself what was wrong because I knew it wasn't about passwords.
I am not unhappy with your service. This is an unusual problem and I don't hold you responsible in any way. But I had no idea a second charge was being applied and I would like that refunded please.
Lulu Appleton

Lulu,

I'm not sure I understand your last response. Your original question had nothing to do with downloading software. It was about access to your email account and passwords.

The second charge you speak of was for all the time I spent with you weeks ago both in Q&A and remote trying to sort out the password ***** you were having. I made the remote connection to your computer, and offered to connect a second time for no additional fee, but the problem was your login was incorrect, so we were not able to get into your email account with outlook or webmail at that time. The information I gave you was and still is correct. I continued to help you, but you didn't reply with confirmation on your passwords and logins so that you or me could finish getting your email working properly.

If you are not satisfied with my service, and wish you seek a refund through billing , you can do that, but please understand that I will then lose all credit for helping you, and a refund hurts me as your support technician.