Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have a surface 2 and the internet failed on it today - I

Hello, I have a surface 2 and the internet failed on it today - I kept getting error651 messages. I went online to work out how to fix it and was advised to reboot to safe mode. This did not work and the advice was to recover to the previous update - which was on 12 August 2016. I did this but it seems to have lost all my apps. I can't open documents or power points - it tells me I am trying to use office but don't have office - as I already bought office I tried to reactivate it but can't recall my password ***** and the system does not recognise my emails through it recognises my phone number - please advise - I am stuck and have no idea what to do now - plus I am profoundly Deaf so I can't call someone to talk it through
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Pauline, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you now using your Surface 2 to chat with me here?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I can't get the internet to work on it, so I am using Mac Desktop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Is it running Windows 8.1 or 10?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jess, the surface is onWindows 8.1 think - it kept asking me to instal 10 but that never worked so I just ignored the messages
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jess - are you still there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

I am still here. Please open Device Manager in Surface 2 and then tell me if there are items listed with yellow exclamation marks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where do I find device manager? I looked in control panel
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Got it open now, just looking
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only yellow exclamation mark I can see is under Other devices and says "Unknown device"
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Please expand the "Network adapters". Can you please tell me the name of the items there listed as "wireless"?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Are there other items listed as wireless?

Also, is this Marvell item listed good? That is, with no yellow exclamation marks?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The nobly other two things listed are Bluetooth device (Personal Area Network) and Bluetooth device ( RFCOMM ProtocolTDI) - all are "good" - i.e. no yellow exclamation marks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
nobly = only
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. Now, regarding the internet problem, are you UNABLE to connect to the wireless network thus you have no internet on Surface 2?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thats right
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There hs never been a problem before this morning
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have just checked n/f it ha now connected to my internet
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is connected to internet now, but I have still lost apps including my Gmail / google and Office on the Surface
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

So your Surface 2 now is connected to internet just now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
now connected to the internet
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now a stupid pop up has come up on the screen with a big arrow symbol telling me to swipe in from edge to go back to last app - and i can't get rid of it
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is that included in the £39 I paid?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, no. It will be an extra fee

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How much will that cost? And is it guaranteed to work?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already pay 7.99 a month to microsoft for support and I never used it before - been doing that for 2 years or so
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

We guarantee our service, you can always get your money back when you are not satisfied.

I will just send you the formal offer, just accept it if you want to start the Secure Remote Assistance.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will wait to see the offer...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for accepting the offer. Now, please use your Surface 2 and then access your JustAnswer.com account there. Then continue chatting with me there in Surface 2, no need to close our chat on your Mac though. Tell me when you are already chatting with me from the Surface 2 so that I can send you the procedures to join me in the remote session.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On surface 2 now - I closed the MAC chat
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session.

1. Please click on this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=34d624f2-33db-4b48-84b7-de79e48f4bfb

2. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button
3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.
4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.

Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been reading the disclaimer and it says to back everything up first - I have La Die external hard drive to back up on but can't work out what to do to get everything to back up on it -
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

No, please proceed with the procedures. This is safe and the tool is just lightweight.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now backed up
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Connected now

Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Pauline,

Thank you for your patience. All issues were resolved through Secure Remote Assistance.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess