Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have just installed W10 updates. I have been asked to

I have just installed W10 updates. I have been asked to login to my Microsoft account but it does not recognise my password ***** I reset 2 days ago.
When trying to reset my password ***** am asked to type last 4 digits of phone number including ...15 but my phone number does not have 15 in it.
The computer has the username and email address as***@******.*** but I have never used Hotmail. My details are***@******.***
How do I proceed?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

When you start the computer, do you need to sign into it? If so, on the login page, what is the email address you see above the password *****?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't sign in except with a 4 digit code. BTW 2 days ago I renewed my Office 365 at the same time as changing my password.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, when you did this you needed to use an account for it, is it the Gmail account you used?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm a 75 year old on minimal pension and can't afford another £22 on top of the Office 365 and now £33
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess it was my Gmail account but not certain - my memory is poor.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Ok, then use this link below please

https://account.live.com/password/reset

And when asked for the email address, use the Gmail account as that is linked as the Microsoft one (just by its name)

Then reset the password ***** this and you can then use the new password ***** the computer

Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am now signed in with a new password. Strangely, it would not accept reuse of my previous password ***** it would not recognise and caused this problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Ok, it may have been typed in with a Typo, that can happen

But great it is now all working

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit