Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Support Tech
Experience:  Years of supporting users of Microsoft software
13568747

Since yesterday I have problems with Microsoft Word

Hello -
Since yesterday I have problems with Microsoft Word documents I’m saving on my Mac Desktop.
When I open a document (yesterday I wanted to amend a travel itinerary) I get the following message:
“View only. Your account***@******.*** doesn’t allow editing on a Mac. Please learn more, contact your admin”.
And when I try to edit the doc it says “This document has certain capabilities that have been locked”.
This apply to everything I save, I have never had this before. I have tried to log in with***@******.*** and I’m told I don’t have Microsoft Office for this account, which I do have. I have used it for years before I got the Nordlink work email address. Very odd and no idea what to do with this. Any advice?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The first thing to try in such a case is, to click on

Use Another Account

and then enter the same credentials you use, to log in to MS Office with the older email address originally used to register your Microsoft Account. Or, whatever other login works.

Another thing to try is, to Activate your software. (This depends upon exactly what version of MS Office or MS Word you are using - and there are many versions. It may not apply to your version, I am aware... and please let me know what version of MS Office or MS Word etc. you are using.)

Also check that your license to use MS Office (or other similar software suite) has not expired. That might suddenly cause this problem.

Let me know (by using the Reply To Expert function) what happens, what software you have, and what you find out, please. I want to help with this problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thanks for you answer. I have tried my other login***@******.***, but then it tells me I need to Activate. I don't understand this as I have used my Mac for years and had no problem. To active I need to buy the software which costs $70.-...I have checked the version of Microsoft Word and it says Microsoft Word for Mac 2011. Version 14.5.9 (151119). Latest installed update 14.5.9. How do I know if the license has expired? I can't find that anywhere.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi again - I have tried to Activate and instead of buying the software I do Sign in. I have tried both with***@******.*** (the email address I had when Office was installed) and***@******.*** (my work Outlook email), for both of them I get "Unable to activate office" and then a message comes up on the middle of the screen saying "can't connect to local subscription service, please reboot your machine". I will reboot now and try again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've done some software updates and rebooted my machine. When I then tried to Activate again
it was working. All good :-). Thanks for your help!

I'm so glad to hear that!

Please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!