IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My Windows 10 crashed after last update. When I tried to

Hi, My Windows 10 crashed after last update. When I tried to restore, I accidentally hit return to previous build. I tried recovery software but now cant see Win 10. I can see Win 7 but it wont load. If I can restore win 7, can I run my win 10 usb stick to reinstall and save my files?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 year ago.

Dear Marva,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible.

I would recommend that you indeed boot up via the Windows 10 USB stick and then upgrade your current restored Windows 7, this should again turn it into a working Windows 10 installation. Please check, if booting from the Windows 10 USB stick, you are offered with the option to upgrade your Windows 7 and let me know.

If it doesn't work, please just reply again and I will help you further on to fix your problem. That involves no additional costs for you, you can reply as often as you want until I was able to solve your problem to your satisfaction. If I already was able to help you, I would very happy about a positive rating (3 to 5 stars), because only then I get paid by JustAnswer with a part of your already accomplished payment, which mediated your question to me as an independent expert.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Lorenz, I tried but the repair disc doesnt recognize the Win 7 as its for Win 10.Here is what I see:Boot Volume NTFS 931 GiB Yes
Data Volume NTFS 450 GiB No
Data Volume FAT32 4 GiB No
WIN 7 32 NTFS 331 GiB Yes
Data Volume NTFS 932 GiB NoI can't access internet on the desktop to run testdiskShould I just try to run the Auto repair on the larger boot drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my Windows 10 was a digital upgrade, the serial number is ***** 10 Core (10.0.10586.545) so I can't even install using a serial number

Thanks for the reply, you Windows 10 USB stick, is this a real Windows 10 installation disk or kind of a recovery disk? Because if it is a "real" Windows 10 installation disk, it should let you repair / install Windows 10 on your existing Windows 7 which doesn´t boot right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am very distressed

I believe you! I know the situation myself. Have a look at my question above, then we can take this ahead with a cool head:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My desktop cannot load the drivers to access via networkI made the usb stick using the media creation tool from the microsoft site
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the install usb I made from the microsoft site again

Yes, that´s what I would have suggested too (the media creation tool). So if you boot from that USB stick on your damaged PC, does it not allow you to install Windows 10 over the Windows 7 installation that is currently not working there? What error does it give if you try that? Because that would be the best way indeed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I tried the tool but I get a message telling me to let Windows 7 start the put the usb stick in, but that fails
I now can only afford the original fee as I paid for other tools before finding you, so I will try one more time

Ok, can you please confirm once again: if you put that Windows 10 USB Stick (the one you´ve created with the media creation tool) into your damaged PC and boot from it, then try to install / recover Windows 10 via the Windows 10 setup, that does not work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it fails. It says to let windows 7 load first then put the usb tool in. But thwn windows 7 won't load properly.. doesnt get past first screen, But I can get to the win 10 repair tools and am searching now for the recovery file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry this is taking so long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the usb Win 10 tool fails it has a button to go to repair, I clicked that and am now looking for the recovery file. Is that a good thing? I can see the drives

No worries Marva, please bear with me as I would have to leave now because it´s almost 0 in the night here in Germany. I will forward you to another expert right away who will continue helping you. Just one second please... thank you so much and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

Hello again, it´s Lorenz again. I just wanted to go to bed and saw no one helped you so far, there are few experts online right now it seems. Should we continue tomorrow then or should I get you refunded instead?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please tell me at which point the Windows 10 USB boot fails? Also, are you able to take a picture of the error screen with your phone and attach the picture here, so that I can see what happens?

Thanks,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Miro, I'm sorry just saw your message. The Win 10 first crashed it appears after an update, then kept having memory issues until it finally failed to load. So I ran the automatic repair but that still didnt make it load. I was sure I then selected to restore but I must have selected the previous build button. Then it tried to load Win 7, but keeps failing. I then ran chkdsk to see if could fix any errors, but still won't load. I then made an EasyRE recovery usb stick, but it can't recover anything as it appears I need to have to make one for Windows 7.So if I could boot Win 7, then I could install Win 10 again without losing my data, but as it stands now, I need to find away to get my data off and then do a clean install from my Win 10 recovery usb stick, which I made using the file from the Micrsoft site.So trying to figure out how to do that.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thanks for the detailed description.

Since you have reverted to Windows 7, let's see if you can repair it. Here is what to do:

First, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options window. Once you see that menu, select the Repair Your Computer option and press Enter. Wait for a while and follow the on-screen instructions. You should get to the window that has several repair options, including Startup Repair.

So, click on Startup Repair which should fix all found startup problems automatically. Once it has finished, your computer should restart and allow you to boot to Windows 7.

However, if it is still the same, repeat the instructions to go back to the System Recovery Options window, but now select System Restore. When you click on System Restore, follow the on-screen instructions where you can choose one restore point based on a date to revert system settings back to that date. I am not sure if this will work since you previously had Windows 10 installed, but you can try it anyway. Wait for the process to finish and it will automatically restart the computer. Hopefully, Windows 7 will be accessible then.

Don't worry about your personal files as they won't be affected by System Restore.

If you encounter problems, I am here to help you further.

Regards,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at the screen where it needs me to login, but have forgotten my win 7 login, I'm assuming thats what it needs
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Have you followed the instructions I mentioned and then got to the password ***** or you haven't followed them yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your instructions, am now at password *****
but am assuming it needs my win 7 login
as it rejected my login
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. Yes, you need to type the password ***** you used before upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 7 doesn't use a Microsoft account credentials, so this is just a computer password ***** used before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to go back to cmd and try to get my password
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

First try all the passwords you can think of. If none of them worked, I will let you know how to reset it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will try one more password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried everything, it's been over a year and I was in a false sense of confidence by the ease of use for a year. sigh
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, no problem. Let's reset the password.

Are you able to boot to the recovery USB you created and access the Command Prompt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got to command prompt using the recovery usb stick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its the one on the Win 10 recovery usb.. takes me to an X drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used it to run the chkdsk before
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Great!

First, find the correct drive letter for the system drive.

Type

c:

and press Enter.

After that, type

dir

and press Enter

If you can see the Program Files and Windows folders listed it is a system drive. If not, repeat the steps to check with other drive letters, such as d: or e:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yay!! i can see them!! bless you!!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

That's great! You can now replace a Windows file (sticky key) in order to access the Command Prompt on the logon screen. That will allow you to reset the password ***** logon as before. I will write the instructions now. Hold on...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Assuming c: is your system drive letter, you need to type this command into the Command Prompt window:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
c is the system drive letter now
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

For some reason, I cannot type the full command here. For that reason, I am attaching a picture showing the command you need to execute it. Let me know if you can see it.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

If you can open a YouTube video, you can see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BeG5LjJ9g

It is entitled "Change or Reset Forgot Windows 7 Password ***** Windows Disk"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see the image
ty
will try now
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

After executing the command, you should see the "1 file(s) copied." as output message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, so first i type exactly what you sent me? i want to make sure am following you exactly thank you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Yes, type only the command shown on the picture. You should then see the "1 file(s) copied." message. If you can see it, you can go ahead and restart the computer and remove the USB stick so that your computer can boot to Windows 7.

Once you reach to the logon screen, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok copied
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Good! You can restart the computer now.

On the logon screen, do not type anything, but just start pressing the Shift key several times until the Command Prompt window appears. You can then type this command:

net users
and press Enter

It will list all user accounts. Locate the one you created (it should say your name).

To reset the password, type:

net user XXX NEW
and press Enter

XXX is the name of your user account
NEW is the new password

For example, if your user name is "home" and you want to set "tree" as a new password, you would need to type:
net user home tree

The output message should say: "The command completed successfully."

You can now exit the Command Prompt window and type your new password ***** log in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry which logon screen.. i press f8 to get back to the page that asks me to input a password? apologies if i should understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to use the usb stick to get to the command prompt
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I mean the one that asks you for the password. It should look like this - see the attached picture:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant get that far
I need to get to cmd using the usb stick
then i go to repair and can start the login thereI'm trying to login to justanswers on my phone so i can show you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

What was the password ***** you mentioned earlier, asking you for the password? When do you see it and how does it look like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your patience switching from my laptop to phone so i can show you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sure.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You can also take a photo of the computer screen you see using your phone and transfer it to your laptop, and then use the paper clip icon here to attach it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My network is terrible sorry
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

No problem. You can resize the picture in Paint or similar program in case it is too big.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My laptop works. If you can login may be you can get to my ddesktop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will transfer image to laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

If you are referring to a secure remote assistance, it won't work in this case, unfortunately. It only works with a working computer that you can fully access.

Send me a picture so that I can see the screen asking you for the password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my computer network is very slow, at end of a BT line sorry. uploads take a while
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I tip you when we are done? I really appreciate your help.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I got the picture. I now know what kind of password ***** is that. May I know what exactly happens if you remove the USB stick and then let the computer boot to Windows 7? Do you see any error messages?

And yes, you can tip me when we are done. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it boots without the recovery stick, it goes to tryto loadWinn 7. It goes to the page where the little coloured lights start to circle, then it flashes a blue screen for 1 second, the loops back to the page saying it's loading Windows but does the same action over again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I take photos of each step?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Oh, I see. Such behavior is usually a sign of the Windows corruption and the standard repair methods I suggested earlier won't help. No need to attach the photos. What you can do at this point is to use a Windows 10 installation media - either a disc or USB stick in order to re-install Windows 10. You can choose to upgrade from an existing Windows version, even though it is not fully working. It will install Windows 10 while keeping the current files, and Windows 10 will be fully bootable.

Do you have a Windows 10 installation media?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
isn't that what I've been using that I made with the media creation tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computers were upraded digitally through the Microsoft online promo. Should make a new usb stick with windows 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the usb stick i made gives me the option to do a clean install that it says will delete my files, is it possible for me to get my files off first?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Is the "Upgrade" option available?

See the picture:

http://cdn2.expertreviews.co.uk/sites/expertreviews/files/2015/07/3_0.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but when I select it, it tells me to log in to win 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says to use the stick once win 7 boots
but not happening
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. In that case, I suggest accessing your data and copying it to another drive and then do a clean Windows 10 install. You should be able to access the data using the Easy Recovery media. Boot from it and select Browse/Backup files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an external drive attached, I will try that, thank you!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

That's good. Let me know if you were able to transfer all the important data to an external drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you am doing it now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will take some time
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

No problem. As long as you can access the data and transfer the files to an external drive, you shouldn't be worried too much. Once that is done, boot to the Windows 10 installation media and choose to do a clean install. You can format or delete the existing partitions so that you can install Windows 10 from fresh. You do not need to worry about activation since you have already done that the first time you installed Windows 10. You just need to connect the computer to the Internet and it will acknowledge the activation without typing any product key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats good to know because for some reason there is no product key with that machine, but when my laptop upgraded it got a product key
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is different with Windows 10. When upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8, it activates as a digital copy that is stored on the Microsoft server. Next time you re-install Windows 10 on the same computer, you only need to connect to the Internet so that the computer can communicate with the Microsoft activation server. The only time Windows 10 product key is actually used is when you purchase a new Windows 10 license (without upgrading from a previous Windows version).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I log off now and come back later to update you. I need to go have a meal with my family. I feel more confident now. I will do the reinstall once I confirm I've transferred all the data to the external drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your clear and calm responses:) Much appreciated. Left me inspired!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sure, you can step away from the computer for now. I plan to do the same.

I am glad my responses were helpful! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Miro, I'm now re-installing Windows, hopefully am doing it correctly
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

If you are using a Windows 10 installation media, I am sure you are doing it correctly. It is hard to mess it up since the whole process is pretty much automated! However, if you do encounter problems, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke too soon, it's stuck on the purple setup page. Should I turn off the computer and start again?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sure, you can restart. Are you being asked where to install Windows 10 (select a disk partition)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did that and had begun, but then when I walked away and returned it was back at the purple screen .. going to start again
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. Restart the installation then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I restarted. Here is pic of where I am
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Good. You can now delete the first two partitions by clicking on "Delete":

Drive 0 Partition 1: Windows7

Drive 0 Partition 2

Once deleted, you will see:

Drive 0 Unallocated Space

Select it and then click "New". Leave the maximum space and click OK. The setup will then create one or several additional partitions used for Windows 10. Select the biggest partition on Drive 0 to install Windows 10 to, and then click Next to start the installation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it's installing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It installed and then rebooted but taken me back to the same starting install page.. is that because I need ti change the boot back to the disk instead of the installation usb stick? Do I need to start over? I am sorry I am taking so much time. Please dont give up on me!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It's fine, don't worry. I am here to help.

Yes, you need to remove the installation media and then restart the computer so that the computer can boot Windows from the internal disk drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TYY ok I figured it out, i'ts now on the getting started page
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

That's great! It means it has successfully installed Windows 10. You can now connect the computer to the Internet so that it can download all the drivers and updates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yay!! It's doing that now! TYYY Crossing fingers!x
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

:))

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I accidentally installed Win 10 Home, will it be expensive t o upgrade later to win professional?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You can always upgrade to Windows 10 Professional, but if you are a home user, it may not be needed since the Professional is mostly business-oriented. See this picture for the comparison:

http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadgets/windows_10_pro_vs_windows_10_home_official.jpg

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

In case you had the Professional edition installed before, but you now installed the Home edition by accident, your computer will be automatically upgraded to the Professional edition upon communicating with the Microsoft server (via Windows Updates).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats great!! ty, its logged in now and setting itself upYou have been a true star!!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I am very glad I could help! If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

You can now rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page. You can then provide a tip if you want.

Thanks,
IT Miro

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional