Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I can't log in to my microsoft account I have forgotten what

Customer Question

I can't log in to my microsoft account I have forgotten what email address I used to set up the account as I cannot remember either of them.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Kevin, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. What requires you now of your Microsoft account? Are you trying to renew your subscription with Microsoft Office?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to log in to my laptop and it is asking for a password ***** I can't remember. I am typing this from another laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Now, on that laptop, what email address is listed there asking for a password?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is no email address listed I've opened my laptop and it is asking for a password. I recently did a reset for the computer I wanted to get a new app but to obtain this I needed to get a microsoft email address and password ***** that is what I can't remember so I have tried account.live.com.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you sure that it is a Microsoft account password ***** your laptop is asking for when you open it? Or is it a BIOS password ***** HDD password?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Also, are you STILL ABLE to use the laptop despite the problem? (Since it is only being asked when you want to download the app)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sure it is a microsoft account password ***** before I didn't have to enter a password ***** get into my laptop. No can't use it for anything until I enter password.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have already downloading the app since then unable to get into my laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Can you please take a picture of that password ***** and attach it here when you reply?

Or can you describe to me the password *****? Is it showing your name, a blank picture, and a password *****?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is showing my name a picture of me and the password *****
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. That simply means that it is NOT a Microsoft account, it is your LOCAL account.

A Microsoft account ALWAYS shows the email address on the login screen. A LOCAL account only shows the username, or the registered name of the user.

Have you tried all your password ***** for this login? Please try to remember and disregard the thought of a Microsoft account, it is not a Microsoft account.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tried every one of my passwords that I can think of
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it then comes up with the message "You can't sign in to your device right now. Go to account.live.com to fix the problem or try the last password ***** used on this device"
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Are you using Windows 8 or 10?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
windows 10
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have an active email address? Like ATT? Gmail? AOL? or others?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have***@******.***
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have other emails other than that? What I am trying to do is to test if one of your emails is actually used as a Microsoft account. This one is not.

Please recall if you have other email addresses that you have been using and try to login to the Microsoft portal with that email address.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tried to login to the microsoft portal with the new email address I created today but it was so quick I did not have a chance to write it down and I cannot remember what it was
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Where did you create that account? In the problem computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
in the laptop which I am trying to access
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have your Windows 10 installation DVD?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No Windows did it online as an update
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

And you originally have Windows 8?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
windows 8 was on the laptop when I purchased it microsoft updated to window 10 about a year ago
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

I believe you were originally using a LOCAL account (not associated with a Microsoft account) and it was when you convert it to a Microsoft account, and then forgotten the email address and the password, that you are then locked out.

In this case, you cannot reset the password ***** indeed what is prompting you now is a Microsoft account. Simply because you forgot the email account associated with it. And if it is a LOCAL account (which I believe it is since it is not showing the email address), there is no way to recover or reset the account and the only option is to reset the computer.

Do you have a lot of data already stored in the problem laptop?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing that can't be reproduced
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry about the issue but unfortunately, that is how the new Windows OS works, I am referring to Windows 8 and 10.

If you are using a Microsoft account, the prompt should show your associated email address. And when you forget the password, you can reset it online since it is a conventional or regular online account.

However, starting Windows 8 up to 10, for local accounts, which I believe the one that you are using, the actual password ***** used is no longer retrievable unlike that of Windows 7. And the only solution for lost local account password ***** Windows 8 and 10 is to reset the computer.

I suggest that you create a Hotmail account on the computer that you are using now. Please take note of it, and its password. And when you setup the computer during reset, please use that Hotmail account since it is readily a Microsoft account.

With that done, you shall be able to download software from the App store since you are already using a Microsoft account.

I know that this is not the answer you wish to hear and I hate to be the bearer of this bad news. But it is unfair for you and unprofessional of me if I will not tell you the real score of your situation. I hope at least I will save you some time trying for passwords giving you false hopes.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess