Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I run Office 365 (new in 2015) on a 2015 MacbookPro with

Customer Question

I run Office 365 (new in 2015) on a 2015 MacbookPro with Yosemite. All worked till I downloaded an update provided by Microsoft yesterday. Excel and PPT still OK, but Word now cannot open any of my files -- both .docx and .doc. The app appears to open normally and I can see the lists of files, but any attempt to open one results in the "There was a problem and Microsoft Word was closed. We apologise for any inconvenience" message.
It can create a new file.
Word is now on Version 15.26
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did what you said.
lt completed till the last three lines, which said:
"The volume MacHD appears to be OK (in green)
File system check exit code is 0
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required."
At this stage, everything stopped. I left it for 15 minutes, then restarted.
An area of concern -- I noted that at the bottom of that Utilities screen is said "Capacity 250.14GB; Used 250.13GB". Is the disk full?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The Word problem remains
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

I'll check this

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. Download was very slow, but now installed.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, now run it and provide me the ID and Password *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ID 281 559 557Password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

connecting

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

you closed the connection and disconnected me, is now not a good time for me to work on the problem?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not deliberately closed the connection. I am sitting waiting to solve the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, the teamviewer window that opens, with the chat text in it, please do not close it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did a restart, and the problem is still there
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Please run teamviewer again and provide new password ***** I can connect.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
New password *****
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mac restarted. Problem just the same
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, this file is going to take (due to your internet speed) 3 hours to download

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1832?locale=en_AU

Download it please and when it has completed, let me know so I can connect.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is still showing over 11 hours -- download running very slowly
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The Office download was much faster
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

this one is from the apple site, so it may be slower, but normally not this slow, though your internet was not too fast.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Anything we can do?
While waiting, would it not be a good idea to uninstall Word 2008? I don't need it
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

word 2008 is not installed, nothing we can do but let it finish the download sorry

It may be worth restarting the mac and trying to download again, but we need the file

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Shall I try this? It's taken over an hour to download 200MB
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

if it says 11 hours then you can

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Restart and new download tried. Running much faster -- it says less than 2 hours. Thanks for the advice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK -- download complete. I have not completed the installation -- over to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

yes, run teamviewer please and give password ***** ID

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Password *****ID 281 559 557
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where is the combo file -- I cant find it.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

in the downloads folder.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Negative -- downloads folder is empty. Also Applications and other likely suspects
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, looks to be a number of issues on the hard drive.

Next, the emails within outlook, are these also on the email server?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I found the combo dmg folder in Dropbox, of all places. It still won't install on Mac HD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't use outlook -- this is a Mac. I use Mail
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Within my Mail, I cannot afford to delete the emails. I delete at isp
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, so we can uninstall office then, as outlook is not used by you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess so.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Perhaps you can uninstall Word 2008 at the same time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't need it
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, run teamviewer and give ID and Password *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
281 559 557868arq
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK restarted
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, please give password ***** connect

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
956deh
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, no change:
I can't open either docx or doc files. I can create a new Word file
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
New password *****
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Restarted. I had to force close, as operations were underway.New password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

it is not connecting, can you restart the mac and run it again please, may have been the force stops before

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Restarted.281 559 557982xce
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Restartedt6ne26
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, but try word and see if it works

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, no change.That took a while, as the old positions in the dock just now have a question mark for Word and PPT (Excel still there), so I had to open from the Applications folder, complete with new intro procedures. Excel and PPT working OK, Word no change
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, go to the Apple Logo, System Preference, User Accounts and make a new user account

Restart the mac, sign in with this new account and tell me if it opens with this please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, I can't do this.I have created a new account, but can't open in it, as it requires an iCloud password. It has rejected all my attempts at likely passwords -- my correct one is in Word!
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

When you go to open a word document, choose repair instead of open and it then opens

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, I'm not with you. Open with Word or Finder? And how do I select Repair instead of Open?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

run team viewer please and ill do it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Password *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, sorry to revert:
1. I have now lost iCloud from the menu (where all my files are stored) when I open Word. A search for a single document will find it in iCloud, but I cannot open the whole thing.
2. When I select Repair on a single file name (so I can open it), it shows that the only thing wrong is a 'Style' issue. Is it possible to correct this fault (common to all my documents) rather than have to Repair/modify each of thousands of documents separately?
3. I am now being repeatedly asked to download and install further updates in Office/Word. In view of my last experience, is this advisable?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

what happens when you try to open the document?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To find the document, I have to do a search on a likely document name. Having identified the document I wish to open, I then have to select Repair (as you showed me last time). (If I try to just open it, I get the Error message, as before). This then opens the document as Document 1. If I then modify it and attempt to save it, I cannot get back to its original position in my "Tree" in iCloud. For the past few days, I have been doing a temporary save elsewhere.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, the only option left is a reinstall of the Mac, as we did all repair options possible.

First, is all your data backed up off the mac? As this will remove all your data and apps (you will need to reinstall your apps again)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already been through a parallel diagnostic process with the Mac people (before contacting you). They have done a series of repairs and say all is now well; also that the problem lies with Microsoft.
Surely the problem is not that my laptop needs repair, but that there is a conflict between the Word App as it was when I created all my documents, and the latest update version. For example, the only repair required to open a document is to the Style setting.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

We have done a full reinstallation of office which is the most extreme repair you can do.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there any way of addressing the single problem relating to the Style repair? This would appear to the location of the clash between the old and new versions of Word
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

no, as this is not the actual problem, as the Style in the document is ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK,I am not happy about a complete reinstall at this stage. Regarding my other 2 queries:
Can you help me to get iCloud back and accessible?
And Should I update with the latest version that has just been sent to me?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

First, if the update is being offered, meaning your able to install it, then see if the issues are resolved.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, the next time it pops up onscreen I'll accept it.Let's leave it at that for now. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Things have gone from bad to worse.
By shutting down the laptop and reopening, I have regained access to iCloud, where my documents are filed.
The problem with accessing Word documents remains -- I can locate and identify a document, then Repair it, which opens it as Document 1. Any attempt to then Save this document back to the original location results in the Error/Close down message. (This development is new)
Also, I can create a new document, but any attempt to file it similarly results in the error message.
This problem is specific to Word -- Excel and PowerPoint continue to work perfectly. The problem arose exactly on my downloading the latest update of Office/Word about a week ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

yes, but we undid all of that already as you saw, this is why we need to do the reinstall of the operating system

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, but I am not sufficiently proficient to do this myself. I am a laptop user, not mechanic.I still don't understand how a MS update can crash a MS App, yet the fault is with the Mac OS.I can confirm that I have an up-to-date backup via Time Machine, as well as all my files in iCloud
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, if all your files are backed up then you need to do the reinstall

To do this

Power off the mac

Choose Clean Disk

Once this is done then choose reinstall OSX

This will reinstall the Mac, once it has been done, install your programs again and it will now function correctly again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Richard, I'll give it a go.
But could you please give me a bit of help on "Once it is done, install your programs again."This is the bit that scares me. I have no idea how to do this. (Parallel -- I am an experienced car driver, but have no idea how to service the car)
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

The programs that you initially installed on your computer you will need to install again

Parallel You purchased a car, all the add ones and things you have added to the car you will need to add again, just like you initially did

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, I'll give it a go.But again, re "Once it is done, install your programs again." Do I simply do this by Restore from Time Machine? Just working down the list till they are all back?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

No, you need to install the program again, from the disk or file you installed it from initially.

Again Eric, you are install the programs on your Mac that you initially installed Your not doing anything new, your just install the apps (like Office) just like you first did when you first purchased or obtained the app,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have any disk or file nor did I install anything from a disk or file.The Mac OS came preinstalled (and it appears from your response above that it can be reinstalled directly). Office is Office 365, which is an online app.Other apps, such as Firefox and Garmin GPS can presumably be accessed online?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

correct, OSX is reinstalled as per the instructions I gave.

Other apps you have to install whether that is from online or from disk depending on the app and where you originally installed it from

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry to bother you again, but I have made a discovery that may be relevant.My previous problems have all been with accessing from and saving Documents, where I Save them in iCloud.I have just found that I can create, open and save documents, provided this is all on the Mac itself, for example if I save the document to Documents. In other words, Word itself appears to be operating correctly, the problem appears to be associated with iCloud.Is it possible to address this problem, by fixing iCloud, without having to wipe my whole laptop, which I am very nervous about (especially the rebuilding)?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

iCloud is part of the operating system, we have attempted repairs of this and reinstallation of office.