Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Needs some help with Microsoft Outlook configuration

Hi Guys - needs some help with Microsoft Outlook configuration
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Simon

Can you tell me what advice exactly you need please? Or you need help setting it up to use across multiple devices?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi RichardCurrently have Office 365 business license and Outlook 2013 client installed on laptop. Have just bought desktop and need first to get Outlook 2016 installed and the data migrated from the laptop version (laptop has become unstable and needs to be re-installed). Then want to share Outlook across the two devices. Spent 95% of time on desktop but travel occasionally. Microsoft not helpful - have spoken with a tech and doesn't seem to be an obvious migration path or synchronisation option for data.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2 issues 1) local copies of mails currently held in PST file on laptop 2) I have nearly 40 email accounts (POP3) and really don't want to re-enter all of those in new Outlook instance
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

First, you need all 40 accounts on new computer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sadly yes! I have 3 brands, multiple roles, 80+ partners and clients and several hundred writers and editors (I run 3 content writing businesses)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If there is a better option than Outlook 2016 - e.g. em Client or similar, I'm all ears!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have no need to work offline so a pure cloud solution would be ideal but apparently according to Micrtosoft techs, theirs is limited to just Microsoft email accounts!
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, first you have to add the accounts to the new computer, this you cannot avoid else there is no way for them to get on the computer

Are the emails for these accounts stored on the email service Simon?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure I even know the passwords for some of them! It seems mad that Outlook doesn't store these in a config or data file somewhere?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

No it cannot store this else it would be too easy for people to obtain, you will need to get the passwords for these accounts, but you should always have these safely kept.

But you cannot get these from outlook.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

nearly all email services though have a password ***** link on their site or a department to reset this, so you would need to go through and do this for the accounts you have no access to.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, assuming I can do this, I have vast amounts of locally stored emails in the PST file and will need to somehow migrate then subsequently share those
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have several hundred folders also set up to organise them. I always delete mails from the server once downloaded. Is OST the way to go?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What I'd really like to do is point both local apps to a shared cloud location for storing the data!!
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Ok, OST is only with Exchange or iMap, it is the way to go but only if your email service provide has this functionality, then when you make folders it make them on the server and it is shared across multiple computers, this is the only way to achieve this, it is via iMap.

What you do is if you can connect using iMap, then you add the account on the old computer via iMap, then drag the folders to it, it will then upload the folders to the server.

Then when the second computer connects, you connect it also via iMap and it will download the folders as well, not just the inbox which is what you get with Pop3 (that you currently have)

Another way is to add the accounts on the new computer as iMap accounts, then copy over the PST files to the new computer.

Then go to File, Import and import the PST files into the account. Either way will accomplish this.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure which of them if any will support iMap but that's an interesting idea and I could try with one account and see how it goes. I don't have an exchange server set up so that's not an option. The email account are on multiple hosts - a couple are GMail, some are on a dedi server and some are on shared servers. If iMap dosn't work, what would the next best alternative be?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, Gmail does do iMap. The only other way would be to copy the PST between the computers and manually import. It is not ideal but this is the whole reason iMap was invented, to share information for all folders ect between multiple computers.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK so perhaps the sensible thing to do would be to set up one iMap account for each brand, change the relevant mail server accounts to redirect all mail to that account so that I only have a handful of accounts to worry about in the future (they need rationalising anyway!). Microsoft seemed to think that I should have a separate PST file for each account just in case of corruption. Do you know if office 365 will back up the PST files to the cloud?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Yes, you should try to minimize the amount of accounts as much as possible. And you should use iMap so you can forget about PST's and backing them up.

Office 365 will not back up the PST to the cloud, you need to do this manually yourself or better yet use iMap

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Richard - I'll b back to you if I get stuck - have rated, tipped etc.!