Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have five narrative history documents; they are separate

I have five narrative history documents; they are separate files covering different family histories, one of the intentions being that they are combined/printed as one master volume. As such, for each file the text layout is identical, and the page layouts are set identically for A4.
However, with two files, when noticing a layout when printed is slightly different and going into Page Layout/Size, Letter size is highlighted. When selecting A4, the message appears - "Settings you chose for left and right margins, column spacings or paragraph indents are too large for the page width in some sections"
No matter what I have tried to check, or change in the layout, that inconsistency cannot be removed - even copying text into one of the acceptable files.
Any suggestions, please.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Charles, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. What version of MS Word are you using: 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jess
Office 2010, with Windows 10.Regards
Charles
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please try the following steps:

1. IMPORTANT: Make a copy of the document as backup
  2. Open your document and then DO NOT do the desired formatting changes yet
  3. Click on Page Layout tab
  4. Under Page Setup group, click on Columns then click on the bottom option called "More Columns"
  5. In the pre-sets group, select ONE
  6. In the "Number of Columns", make sure it is set to 1
  7. Under "Apply to", select "Whole Document"
  8. Click the OK button
  9. Then try the desired formatting and see if it works this time.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks for that info; not an out-and-out 'expert' but reasonably familiar with Word - but that's a 'first' for me. But, after a minor 'hiccup' with the first printed line still being lower than the correct file, it appeared to correct itself. Printed several pages off each, and now all match correctly.
Thought that there would be a simple answer somewhere; that info now filed away for any future use.
Charles Rigg
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Charles,

You're welcome, I am glad to be of help.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess