Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have had Microsoft 10 on my laptop for about 6 months.

Customer Question

I have had Microsoft 10 on my laptop for about 6 months. Before allowing me access, it asks me to enter my PIN. I have not changed my 4 digit PIN, but it does not now recognize it so I am unable to get into the system.
How do I resolve this please
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

On the sign in page above the password ***** is the username which is wither your name or your email address.

Can you tell me what it is please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Douglas Bridgewater
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, you do not see an email address at all?

And when it fails to accept the Pin, whats the exact message it gives?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no email address. The message is "PIN incorrect. Try again."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then there is no way to reset this online as you used an internal account, not an email address as the sign in.

In this situation you have to reinstall windows, there is no way to get around this. It will remove all your data and return the computer to new, but you cannot avoid this, it is the whole point of the security.

To do this, hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard and with it held down, click on the power icon on the screen then restart.

Keep shift held down until it has restarted and your at a menu.

Choose from this menu, Troubleshoot, then Reset My PC.

You will have to choose to remove all your files for this to work.

Let this complete and once it has, you will need to setup your computer again just like when you first received it.

Let me know please how you go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This seems incredibly drastic. What could cause it to fail to recognize my PIN?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

That the Pin was changed, it's the only cause.

I understand you feel it's drastic but please take into account the Pin is there to protect your data, it is encrypted, if we could just bypass it and access your data then there would be no point to the whole security on the computer, and it would be a catastrophic to Microsoft for windows 10.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not deliberately change my PIN. How might I have done it accidentally?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes that is possible, I can only say it has been changed, else it would be accepted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could my computer have been hacked and the PIN changed? I cannot imagine how I could have done it accidentally.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, as it is a local account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. It seems I must accept I am back to Square 1.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot enter the correct Pin, you have to do the reset as per my instructions Douglas, I know it is not something you wish for, but it is the reality of the situation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is some 55 years since I programmed my first computer. I suppose if this is the worst disaster I have had in all that time I shouldn't complain too much.Thank you for your time Richard.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

your most welcome Douglas

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

was there anything else needed Douglas? As I never received a rating from you.