Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

My account has been frozen as MS has said that somebody else

Hi My account has been frozen as MS has said that somebody else is using my account - Now I am blocked and have no access- I have filled out the ' form ' waiting for a link to be sent to me . This is not happening - - I have not had access to my account since Tuesday evening - can you please assist ? I have called technical team and they say I should contact you - I do have a ref number
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Annemarie

When you try to sign into your account now, what is the exact message you receive?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says that ' it looks like someone else might be using your account
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have verified myself and
completed their form .. but no email has been sent with a link to restore
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

It should then give you some options to prove who you were before the questionnaire. What did you see as your options?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I completed the whole form twice now but no link beign send my MS
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

I understand, but I need to know about other options you are offered instead of the questionnaire.

Click this link

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Choose I think someone else is using my Microsoft account

And tell me when you enter a reason, what the next option is after clicking Next

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I entered MS blocked account?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, then click next and tell me what you get please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I chose email option to sent a security code
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, now do you receive the code on the email option? As if you enter it you can reset your password.

Or is it asking you to enter an email address to have it sent to?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have received the code
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
takes me to a 'account recovery page
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
shall I complete ?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

I need to know, did it ask you to supply an email address? Or it had it on record already?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It asked me to supply an alternative email - as the phone on there does not work where I am ( actually I have handed sim card back to - as I have relocated
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have given then that email address for the past two days
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, then it is just going to do the questionnaire again which will fail.

This means, unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Microsoft being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Microsoft states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year Microsoft has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not Microsoft, their policies, or the situation itself.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the right password ? SO I am not sure why they blocked it - I have literally arrive in the UK on Monday and not had the chance to even change contact details ? So It is not a matter of having the contact details. I have given them an alternative email address
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

No sorry, if they have not replied after 2 request then you will not get access.

The only way is via the recovery options but you indicated the phone is no longer workable, this is why it is always critical to keep your contact details up to date for your recovery options to avoid being in this situation Annemarie.

I would much rather give you positive information, but this is the situation you are in sorry.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues