IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I had a recent upgrade for windows 10 on my other computer

Customer Question

I had a recent upgrade for windows 10 on my other computer however it now does not recognise my pin and therefore I am unable to access the computer. Can you help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

On which computer did the Windows 10 upgrade occur, please?

And, on which computer does the PIN not work, please? more details are needed, for me to answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Toshiba Lap-Top

Was the PIN not recognized on the same computer that had the Windows 10 upgrade?

If so, what screen is prompting for a PIN, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Answer to first question is yes. Answer to second Q is The entry screen

The entry screen meaning the screen that needs your Windows login?

What does 'the entry screen' say, please? whatever text is on it. It might be something unusual that needs a specific response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The screen is the log-in that I normally use to unlock the computer I do not think it is the windows login.The screen just says Sign-in Options, My name and a box with the word PIN

Had you established a PIN before this?

Or is it absolutely unknown to you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have always used a PIN without any trouble prior to the upgrade - this computer had the same upgrade and works fine.

Check the CapsLock status, make sure it is Off.

Then try re-entering your PIN.

Was the computer possibly subject to someone else changing the PIN in question? left unlocked and unattended etc.?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Caps lock was off - no-one else has access to the computer

Try re-starting your computer.

Then make sure CapsLock is Off, by pressing it, observing the status, then pressing it again to make sure it is Off.

Then, tap both Shift keys, lightly but sharply... in case one of them is stuck down.

Then, try your PIN again. Carefully, of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did as you said - no change

Then I regret to say, I have no cure and no advice or ideas left on this subject... and I'm sorry to have to say it.

If nothing changed it, and the keyboard doesn't have a Shift key stuck down, then the PIN should work.

I have Opted Out, in case another Expert has another idea on this question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your efforts anyway
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 month ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible.

When you say that it shows "your name" on the login-screen, can you let me know that name please? Is it a name with a @outlook.com or any @X at the end? Or just a plain name like "Colin"?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The name shown is Colin Clark
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As you do not seem to be able to resolve my problem I would like to cancel my contract with you forthwith.

Thanks for your reply and patience, I am here, just not 24 hours a day as you can imagine. Is there any email address shown below the "Colin Clark" entry?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no

OK, thank you. How experienced are you with creating a boot USB-stick? Because the only solution we have left now, is to boot your computer via special USB-stick that we need to prepare and that can then reset your password ***** that account this way. This is the only option you have right now. Let me know if you want me to guide you through this process.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please - I have a stick ready

Thank you, ***** ***** won´t be available today and don´t want to let you wait to long, I will open your question to other experts that will help you quickly for sure as well. Thank you very much and have a nice Sunday.

Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will help you with this. So at the PIN screen, click on the icons / options under "Sign-in options" for the Password ***** and it does not show any email address.

- Is it okay to reset the Toshiba laptop fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but this computer is not the lap top so do not change anything on this computer.

Thank you. Please answer the following question:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
resetting the laptop is fine.

Thank you. Please try the following steps on the Toshiba laptop:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

- Do you see a menu / the Troubleshoot option when trying the above steps on the Toshiba laptop?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The Toshiba option menu is on the screen

What are the options on the menu?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just remove my files or clean the drive fully

Please select option " Just remove my files" and continue. Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The message now is getting thing s ready
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All set to go with a reset button

OK, please click on Reset. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Resetting in progress

OK, please let it resetting, and keep me updated. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was installing windows but I now have the message "the computer restarted unexpectedly windows installation cannot proceed. Click OK to restart the computer to install then restart the installation" I have done this twice but the same message come up plus the word "preparing". What should I do now?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please completely shut down the computer with the problem and leave it turned off for about 2 minutes. After that, start it normally and let me know if there are any changes.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did as you requested but there was no change when it restarted
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry but I have to be elsewhere so cannot continue - I will contact you again later.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Since Windows 10 couldn't automatically re-install, you will need to use a Windows 10 installation media. It can be a DVD or a USB flash drive.

Let me know if you have already created a Windows 10 installation media.

Thanks,

IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,
IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been away for a few days however there is no change to report. I do not understand what you mean by Windows 10 installation media. I have not created such a media.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again! Thanks for writing back.

Windows 10 installation media allows you to re-install Windows 10. It can be either a disk or a USB drive.

In case you don't have Windows 10 installation disk or USB drive, I can provide the instructions on how to create it for free, so that you can use it re-install Windows 10. All you need to have is either a blank DVD disk or a USB drive, as well as any computer that is working and can access the Internet.

Let me know if you need the instructions.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will need instructions for a USB Drive windows media set-up please. I have a blank USB stick.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello! Here are the instructions for creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive (stick):

1. Use any working computer with Internet access, and open a web browser and go to this web address:

http://tinyurl.com/Win10disc

2. There click on the Download tool now button. It will then prompt you to download a file named MediaCreationTool. It is used to download the Windows 10 image file required for creating an installation media

3. Run the downloaded tool and select the Create installation media for another PC option and click Next. Un-check the check-box at the bottom and select the same Windows 10 version that is installed on your computer, and click Next. "Windows 10" refers to the Windows 10 Home edition, and "Windows 10 Pro" refers to the Windows 10 Professional edition

4. You will then be able to choose between creating a bootable USB flash drive or a bootable disc (ISO file). To proceed with creating a bootable USB flash drive (stick), insert it into your computer and select the USB flash drive option, and click Next

5. The setup will then download the Windows 10 image file which is about 3 GB in size. It will then format the USB flash drive which will delete all files currently stored there, so make sure you have copied everything you need from the USB drive to your working computer

6. Follow the instructions to finish creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive

7. When done, un-plug it from the current computer and plug it into the computer where you need to repair or re-install Windows 10

8. In order for the computer to load the Windows 10 USB flash drive, you need to select booting from the USB drive. That can be done by pressing the F10 or F12 key right after powering on the computer if quick boot menu selection is supported. If not, you will need to access the BIOS settings and set booting from a USB drive as a default boot option. Pressing the F1 or F2 or Delete key while powering on the computer should take you to the BIOS

9. When your computer loads the USB drive and displays the Windows 10 Setup, you can either repair the current installation or choose to re-install Windows 10

If you require further assistance, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have followed the instructions and made a USB media copy of windows. However when I put the USB in the other computer and press F10 or F12 nothing happens and likewise with F1 & F2 and delete keys. What now?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again!

In case none of the keys work, please tell me the exact model of your Toshiba laptop and I will check if there is any other key you need to press in order to have the USB stick loaded. You should find the model number at the bottom of the laptop.

Also, to confirm, in case you don't press anything other than the power button to start the laptop, do you see the same prompt for a PIN that doesn't work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lap-top model is a Toshiba Satellite L8500-12P Serial No. 9C192668R. To start the laptop I only press the power button. All that is on the screen is the word Toshiba With a window which is titled Install windows. Then an X followed by the words "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, then restart the installation." At the bottom of the screen is the word "Preparing" with the ring of dots circulating above it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Can you click on "Install Windows"? If not, what options shown on the screen are clickable?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can click on install windows and the computer does restart but then the same message comes up so I am back to square one again. There are no other options.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK, you will need to use the USB media to re-install Windows 10.

I checked for the correct procedure of entering the BIOS settings for your laptop model.

Here is what to do:

1. Shut down the laptop

2. Press and hold down the F2 key and then press the power button to start the laptop. Continue to press the F2 key until you see the BIOS screen with several tabs

Let me know if it worked.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No did not work it starts and then goes off again
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

That's unusual.

Let's try with another way.

You mentioned seeing the "Install Windows" option. Please check if there is "Repair your computer" option available as well.

If not, check if you can see any other option, such as "Troubleshoot", "Refresh your PC", "Reset your PC", etc

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other options are available
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

I am not sure why everything fails or is not available. I don't see any other way other than to reset the laptop to factory condition. That will re-install the Windows, but will also erase everything on the laptop. If you would like to proceed with a factory reset, I can provide the full instructions for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was while trying to install windows as advised by one of your colleagues that we reached the present situation. However I am quite happy to try again. My download speed is not great and I wondered if that was why is shut down before. Please give me the instructions and lets see what happens.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

The factory restore I mentioned doesn't require you to download anything from the Internet, nor to use a USB or disk since Toshiba has a built-in recovery manager. You just need to access it with a specific key combination, which I hope will work for you. However, as also I mentioned, the process will clear the entire hard drive contents and then re-install Windows from scratch. Proceed with the factory restore only if you don't have important files saved on your Toshiba laptop.

Here are the instructions:

1. Connect a power adapter in case the Toshiba laptop is currently powered on battery

2. Completely shut it down by pressing and holding down the power button

3. While the laptop is turned off, press the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard and hold it while pressing the power button to power the laptop back on

4. Continue to hold down the 0 (zero) key while the laptop is powering on

5. Moments later, you should see a recovery screen where you are prompted to continue. You can then release the 0 (zero) key. Select Yes

6. Select "Recovery of Factory Default Software", and click Next

7. Select "Recover to out-of-box state", and click Next again

8. Finally, click Next again to Start the recovery. It usually takes up to 30 minutes for the recovery to finish

Here are the video instructions as well (YouTube video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ8xCcPj7ss

Note that if your laptop originally came with Windows 7 installed, it will then re-install Windows 7. If the restoration worked, you can either continue to use Windows 7, or I can provide the instructions on how to quickly upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It did not work I now have nothing on the screen at all when I switch on.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

I am sorry it didn't work. It looks like none of the repair methods could be applied to your laptop for some reason. I am not sure why is that. I am starting to think this could be a hardware problem since accessing the BIOS as well as the recovery manager didn't work.

I am starting to run out of ideas. What I can think of next is to try the following:

1. Completely turn off the laptop

2. Disconnect the power connector from the laptop as well as any other hardware that is connected (mouse, printer, external hard disk drive, etc)

3. Turn the laptop over and remove the laptop battery

4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, and then release it

5. Now re-connect the battery and the power adapter and turn the laptop on

Check if you can see something on the display.

If the problem is still there, please turn your laptop:

- when only the laptop battery is connected, without the power adapter

- when only the power adapter is connected, without the laptop battery

Let me know how it went.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I now have the previous message on the screen. The window with the Install Windows message as follows " The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an expected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, then restart the installation. Plus there is a circle of lights at the bottom of the screen with the word "Preparing". However as before when clicking OK it restarts and then just goes back to the same message.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again!

I am sorry to see the problem persists. I don't have an explanation as to why all the repair methods don't work for your laptop.

You can try once again to use the USB disk you created for re-installing Windows 10. Insert it into your Toshiba laptop and restart the laptop. Power it on and then test these F keys again:

F1

F2

F8

F9

F10

F11

F12

So, first power on the laptop and immediately start pressing only the F1 key. If nothing happens, restart it and then start pressing only the F2 key. Do the same for all the F-keys mentioned here.

If none of the F-key started the Windows Setup from the USB disk, you can try again with the Toshiba factory restoration by pressing and holding down the 0 (zero) key while the laptop is powering on.

If that doesn't work as well, then I am afraid you will need to contact the Toshiba support and ask them if there is any other method that you can use to reset the laptop to factory defaults for your Toshiba model since the usual reset method doesn't work. You can call the Toshiba support on this UK number: (+44) 1932 841600

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
with the usb stick in place and pressing f2 i now have the setup utility screen. do i need to do anything now.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

I am glad to see pressing the F2 key worked. It shows you the Setup Utility or the BIOS screen. You should see the Boot tab there, so please use the arrow keys on the keyboard to go there. Once you have selected it, you need to set Removable Devices at the top of the list. Use the + and - keys to change the order. After you have done that, press the F10 key and then Y and Enter to save the changes and exit.

The laptop will then restart and should automatically load the Windows 10 setup from the USB disk.

Let me know if it worked.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again! How is it going?

May I know what is the current status of the laptop problem? Were you able to set booting from your USB drive?

Thanks,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gave up and took to PC World. Thanks for your help anyway.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK, no problem.

If you encounter any other issue, let me know. I will do my best to help you solve it.

Best regards,

IT Miro