Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Just had a call from some woman purporting to be from

Just had a call from some woman purporting to be from Microsoft telling me someone was trying to hack into my computer. She asked me to put on my PC and she could confirm my licence no. I told her I had to out and she said she would ring back tomorrow at 9.00 am. and not to use internet until then. I asked her for her phone number which after a false start she provided a number.. Is this genuine?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Any company or person who claims your computer is infected, or has been sending errors, or claims to have any direct affiliation with Microsoft is a SCAM if they are calling you or somehow getting in touch with you to repair your computer, fix errors, or remove viruses.

Chances are good that your computer is running just fine and they will charge hundreds of dollars for services you do not need. Most of them in fact will offer to remotely access your computer to fix the issue when the truth is, they will only install something in your computer to make you DEPENDENT on their support.

Please avoid dealing with these companies or people and inform them that you know they are a SCAM and that if they continue to call, you'll report them to the Internet Crime Bureau, which you can file a complaint with here: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

For more information about this so-called “Microsoft Support Scam”, please refer to this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess