Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

Home computer shows message from BT with error code and

Home computer shows message from BT with error code and saying I should call Microsoft certified technician which I did. He said software programme would cost £100 and I said I was concerned it was a scam
Is it?? Stephen Elvidge
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That was certainly a scam. That was a fake popup message. No legitimate support company would contact you randomly nor they would display popup messages automatically on your computer's screen. Please always ignore any popup window message (or email message or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

Does it let you close that message? And/or if you shut down / restart the computer, does that message go away?

Is there still any issue with your computer?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a warning not to shut down or everything will be lost! So OK to shut down? Will computer be safe to use after this? Will I need to change passwords,etc?

Yes, it is safe to shut down / restart the computer. It is just a fake popup message.

As long as you did not download / install any program, then you do not need to change passwords.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did nothing except call the 0800 number on my landline and said I'd need to think about the cost before getting in touch again. I haven't tried to call them again.

You did not let them access your computer, so that's good. It is a scam, so don't contact them again. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am shutting down and restarting. Do I report the incident to ny one? I still have the 0800 number on my phone.

You can report to Microsoft at the website below; the website below provides detailed information about Microsoft support scams. However, there are many phone scams and email scams and popup scams out there, so you just need to be careful.

http://www.bbb.org/sacramento/news-events/consumer-tips/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-microsoft-support-scam/

Never get into contact with any person that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It all seems to be working ok. Trouble is, how could I be certain of your site's bona fides??!! Am glad I took the risk but when you're not computer savvy, it all looks very plausible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to add £5 tip but pressed wrong button. Am I too late? Thank you for your help anyway.

You're welcome. We have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/

You can click on the Review option at the top to provide feedback.

If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Thank you very much.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-itstuff/

I got your bonus. Thank you again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have found bonus button and made £5 tip. Hopefully you'll get this.

Yes, I got your bonus. Thank you again,