Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Please help. I am trying to deal with a spreadsheet within

Customer Question

Please help.
I am trying to deal with a spreadsheet within excel.
The workbook contains 27 sheets with various formula etc which moves the various data I input and transfers it to other worksheets adding, subtracting and working out my finances for me.
One of the worksheets seems to be stuck on a particular cell and I cant move off of this cell.
Once I open this sheet, I get a dialogue box telling me to paste name, print area. Once this sheet is opened, there is nothing I can do to any other section of the entire workbook and I have to open task manager and shut the programme down.
What should I do?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Is the problem only happening or caused by this particular sheet? If yes, have you tried to delete that particular sheet? Please make sure to create a COPY of the file and do the troubleshooting on the COPY version to ensure you do not lose the original file.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears I have 2 sheets doing the same thing.
Would deleting the sheets and copying and pasting a similar sheet with identical formula
cure the problem?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am thinking that the part of your Excel file could be corrupt so deleting the sheet(s) that are causing the problem can fix the file.

Can you send me a copy of the problem file so that I can check it myself on my computer? You can use the Add Files button to attach it on your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't add the file
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting trouble attaching it in your reply? Or is it because it is confidential? I will understand

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not that confidential, my computer wont upload it.
I think therefore I may have other issues with the PC
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh OK. Please try to upload it on this site:

http://filesxpress.com/

After uploading, please give me the short download link so that I can download the file.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wont do that either
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I saw your files... Let me download it now... Give me a moment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sheets that are the problem are tabbed
BalSheet May
BalSheet Oct
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Is this Excel file using data from external links like external or other workbooks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It's stand alone
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The problem is, this excel file is trying to retrieve external data. Please give me a moment to trace and remove these external links to fix this problem.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

It is linked to another file named Business_Accounts 2008-2009.

Do you want me to remove that link to fix this file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By all means, I've finished with that file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just copy and paste my previous years accounts, clear the data and start again so it doesn't need the link
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Give me a moment.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I fixed your file for you by removing the external links which caused the file to freeze.

Please download the fixed file in this link:

http://filesxpress.com/d-34bc9fea

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The BalSheet Oct still has the problem!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh sorry. But can you please tell me HOW to trigger that problem? I can open the sheet normally on my computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just click on the tab to open the sheet and the dialogue box is there.
May sheet seems to be clear though
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I can open it without issues from my Excel. See my screen shot:

http://filesxpress.com/d-3f5151ab

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
So if I delete the sheet and copy and paste another one, would that cure my end?
Assuming all external data links are now removed
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Please give it a try

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll try tomorrow as I'm too tired as been trying to deal with this all day.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, John. Please let me know if you need further assistance with me tomorrow. I can still help you further. Just reply to me here tomorrow so that I can continue to help you. Do not post a new question so that you will not be charged again.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Jess M
Thank you for your help yesterday.
I have looked at the problem afresh this morning and downloaded the file again.
When I open the file, There is a yellow tab along the top of the page telling me:-
Protected View: File comes from an internet source only open if you trust: Enable Editing.
Immediately I enable editing, I have the freeze problem on both May and Oct balance sheets
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I believe the problem is with your MS Excel program. Please try to DISABLE your Excel add-ins by following these steps:

1. Open your Excel program
  2. Click on File menu, click Options (or Excel Options in Excel 2007)
  3. Click on "Add-ins" on the left panel
  4. In the list of Add-ins, locate the locate the bottom selection box named "Manage". Select "Excel Add-ins" there. Then click GO
  5. In the dialog box that appears, UNCHECK all the items that are CHECKED.
  6. Then click on OK
  7. Then do the same process again but instead of "Excel Add-ins", select COM Addins. UNCHECK all of the CHECKED items there then click OK
  8. Then close your MS Excel
  9. Then open it again and then load your excel file, see if the problem is gone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem seemed to clear itself a little while ago and I've been working on the spreadsheet successfully.
However, I've still done these instructions you've sent me.
The only boxes checked were in Comms and I've unchecked them and I still seem to be able to work on the file.
Thanks for coming back to me
Have a good day
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.