Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

In the middle of a manuscript my computer decided that

Customer Question

In the middle of a long manuscript my computer decided that instead of a long series of single pages with the current displayed on the screen, it would split everything as a book layout. In other words I now have two pages, side by side on the screen. This does not work for me, how do I get back to a single page display ? I have a Mac and use Office 2010 for Macs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Raili, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Please try to set the ZOOM to 100%. If the problem continue, please go to the View menu. Then under Zoom group, click the One Page button.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your speedy reply, Jess M. Unfortunately, although I did find Zoom in View dropdown menu it will only display the single page at 75% which leaves the print too small for comfortable typing.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Please try to maximize your Word window. (That is, to cover the whole screen.) Then, on the View menu, under the Zoom group, check if there is a command button that says "One Page". Then click on it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the same result. I can have a full screen at 100% if I accept the two page side by side set up - or I can have a single page at 78%.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

But you were able to have a single page setup before at 100% or larger?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear Jess, I've used this same computer with the same software since 2010. I use it primarily to write text and have, until two days ago, churned out some 5 x 250pages of manuscript, all as a single page display on the screen. As you've probably noticed already, I'm a complete techno-idiot, hate changes and am happiest using the same settings that work for me. I've no idea if the original setting was 100% but it certainly was far more than the 78% now on offer. At 78% I can't even read the text on the screen without hunching over the keyboard. I have a horrible suspicion that this is a result of a recent automatic update which I clicked to instal. Never again.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

I am very sorry about the issues. Thank you for mentioning about the updates. Yes, this sudden and unwanted change in your available views settings could have been due to the said update if it was an update for MS Office.

By the way, can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check the issue myself and see if there is a setting that can undo the situation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear Jess, I'm so sorry but I can't let you have access. It's nothing personal but my son who's my IT boss has made me promise not to allow remote access by anybody but him. Unfortunately he's on the other side of the world and I can't wake him up for another couple of hours. Thank you so much for trying to help - at least I've now found the View button so this was not complete waste of time. Best regards, Raili.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you Raili for your patience.

I hope I was able to help. The rating system/buttons are at the top of the chat page, you can rate my service any time.

If you have follow up questions, just let me know by replying to me here any time. I will get back to you to help you further when I am online.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess